Nitrous fill tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h8cold

Reaction score
What the protocol on nitrous filled tires, can you fill it with regular air if it's low?

KyRover

Reaction score
I think you mean nitrogen, not nitrous. You can just use good old free air to pump your tires back up to pressure. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Murphy

Reaction score
I think you mean nitrogen, not nitrous. You can just use good old free air to pump your tires back up to pressure. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Yes, I believe Nitrogen is a scam. Made the mistake of doing that once, and every time my wife took our car in for an oil change - the shop (no matter WHERE she took it) would top off the tires with Nitrogen and charge us extra for that everytime. I believe they see the green valve caps and automatically do it without asking. Probably thinking "sucker" while they do so. Anyhow, I put black valve caps back on mine to avoid future problems.
murphy

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with murphy, it's a bit of a scam... The two main theories of running Nitrogen are, more consistent pressures with varying temperatures and less moisture in the fill. I guess in the long term, the water could corrode the wheel, and possibly (?) affect the TPMS sensor. I purge my air compreesor fairly frequently and haven't ever had any problems.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is nitrogen lighter than air? If so, does this increase gas mileage :)
Sorry, its a boring monday morning for me...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is nitrogen lighter than air? If so, does this increase gas mileage :)
Sorry, its a boring monday morning for me...
Hey Chris,

It's too early in your LR4 ownership to be thinking about getting better gas mileage - hahaha! :) Most of us go in the other direction adding accessories that decrease MPGs. I talked to a guy the other day in my town (there are lots of Land Rovers) who was telling me all the tricks he does to save gas mileage, etc. I definitely am an easy driver to save some gas, but this guy was crazy - why even get an LR4 I wondered?

I just bought two Pelican cases to fill with crap, a water jerry can, and a petrol jerry can to hitch to my roof rack. Hahaha.

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send pictures! And yes, it is too early for me to be complaining about the mileage! :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send pictures! And yes, it is too early for me to be complaining about the mileage! :)
I will definitely take photos! I may not get them installed in until early July as they still need to arrive and then I am heading to Boston, MA to see my family and then to a conference in Florida (yuck).

kdegLR4

Reaction score
The other big advantage for nitrogen in some applications is that it escapes more slowly than "regular" air, and far slower than carbon dioxide gas. Makes it great for bicycle tires (low volume, high pressure) because the cost is fairly low. Makes it really expensive for car tires (high volume, low pressure) with much less benefit.

Aircraft tires get the most benefit because of nitrogen's relative volume stability with temperature fluctuation and its low escapability. If you're not racing your car on the track, I can't see the usefulness of nitrogen in car tires. But if you happen to own an AirGas franchise....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4