mileage has dropped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need advice. Have a 2005 LR3 71000 miles.
According to the all fuel gauge my mileage has dropped a great deal recently. Gone from in town 14.0 approx. down to 11.0 to 12.0 approx.
I did have the throttle body cleaned but is there anything else that I should look at. Is it time for a tune up, or could it be something else.
Thanks in advance

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had faults, took it to the dealer who said throttle body needed to be cleaned. Six hundred dollars later, on the way back from the dealer the fault tripped again. Since then, once a month I add a can of Sea Foam motor treatment, fault light has long since gone out, and haven't had any more faults. Mileage at best is 16 15-15.5 in the city. I attribute that to age, and added accessories.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it time for a new air filter? They are normally scheduled at 60K miles.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that additives were not that good for a Rover...

Although in all my Mercedes I have owned over the years I did use an additive...
Just don’t want to put anything in there that would hurt the engine but with your mileage it might be worth a try

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had faults, took it to the dealer who said throttle body needed to be cleaned. Six hundred dollars later, on the way back from the dealer the fault tripped again. Since then, once a month I add a can of Sea Foam motor treatment, fault light has long since gone out, and haven't had any more faults. Mileage at best is 16 15-15.5 in the city. I attribute that to age, and added accessories.

Although in all my Mercedes I have owned over the years I did use an additive...
Just don’t want to put anything in there that would hurt the engine but with your mileage it might be worth a try

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure okay? With the colder temps, you typically drop 1 psi for every 10 deg F.

Just checking for the simple causes first...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Additives with Alcohol react negatively with 10% ethanol gas. I researched it, and could not find a reason not to use it periodically. It cured my fault, and I use it now in "maintenance" mode. Before that I used the Shell cleaning Nitrogen gas, so much for that, as it cleaned nothing apparently.

1 Can with fill up every few tankfuls or so...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90