"Mic"ing my brake rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ANGLR4

Reaction score
Measuring Brake Rotors

Don't know how you guys do it, but I couldn't figure out how to take my micrometer to measure my rear rotors without pulling the wheels and calipers, as there is now window thru the backplate. So, I made my own window. Here's what I did (please tell me if I reinvented the wheel so I don't waste my time on the front):
After removing the rotor, I drilled a 7/16" hole in the backplate at about the 8 o'clock position about 1/2" in from the outer circumference. After de-burring and smoothing the opening, I replaced the rotor and took the micrometer to the new hole. It worked perfectly. So, I finished reassembling my brakes and tried it again. Worked like a champ. Finally, after installing the wheel, I was still able to slide the micrometer from the backside into the wheel cavity and was able to get an accurate measurement.
The only problem was keeping debris from getting back in between the backplate and the rotor. I feared a rubber plug would melt from heat generated by the rotor and there really isn't that much room between the rotor and the backplate. I thought about just squeezing some silicone and "gooping" up the hole, but I think you can picture how bad that would turn out. Then I remembered using something while remodeling my daughter's bedroom: metal tape. I used it on the heater exhaust pipe and thought it should do the trick. A little bit of rubbing alcohol on the backplate and the tape not only sticks incredibly well, it conforms to the ridges.
I hope someone else can use this or you can feed back how to measure the darn rotor without taking it apart.

Attachments

• Micrometer Window.JPG
    Micrometer Window.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Taped Micrometer Window.JPG
    Taped Micrometer Window.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 22
  • Final Result.JPG
    Final Result.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drilling could work - nice solution.

One way to check the rotor depth is to take off the caliper... That gives you access to the entire cross-section of the rotor away from the back plate. Rotate the rotor with a gloved hand and you can check it across the radius & full circumference...

What I do (if I don't feel like taking all that time) is stick the micrometer in that small gap on each side of the brake calipers that exists between the backing plate. There is just enough space to get in my electronic caliper...

-B

ANGLR4

Reaction score
Very nice. I didn't think there was enough room. I think the one downfall is if I have a groove and it. Doesn't line up with the window. I did realize,though, I can mic the rotor while the wheel is still on. I just lay the jaws of the mic down in the curvature of the wheel and then slide the mic in place with a last second pivot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112