Major bonehead move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dipan

Reaction score
Major bonehead move (and now how not to AND how to jack up the car)

So the LR4's left rear wheel got another nail and a slow leak. No big deal. I pull down the nice full size spare and proceed to jack up the car in front of the left rear wheel via a prominent ridge that I thought I remember being the jacking point. Got the wheel almost off the ground and then ... SNAP!

Not a jacking point. The area buckled and I quickly let it down even though I had loosened the wheel nuts. Still kicking myself, I quickly change the wheel (via the proper jacking point). The place I had jacked the car up was the compressor housing. I took the plastic! cover off and checked things out. The cast aluminum mounting plate for the compressor snapped and the weight of the car must have been on the compressor, hoses, and wiring in the recess.

Started the car and seemed fine. Put it in the low position and it lowered. Fine. Put it in the norrmal ride height and heard a godawful buzzing. Not unexpected now that the compressor is just rattling in there. The car still came up to normal height but the compressor doesn't turn off. The car even raises to off road height, but the compressor still doesn't turn off. Dropping down works too, but the compressor doesn't turn off.

Looks like a trip to the service center and possible costly repair. Still kicking myself.

LESSON: Make at least doubly sure that you are using a jacking point!

Last edited:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very sorry about this experience you had. This is something i dread to do but through your story it might have saved me as well. Let us know the final price outcome. I am curious how much LR is going to charge you to replace the compressor.

carguy 67

Reaction score
I feel your pain

I did the exact same thing a month ago, I just broke the bracket and the cover, the compressor was fine. If you are handy you can change it yourself, the parts are not expensive but the dealer will charge for 3hrs labor....as for the designers puting the compressor there...I think its a terrible spot, poor design. FWIW you are not the first person to do it and you will not be the last, so dont feel too bad...

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad....I'm really paranoid about it too! The compressor is fine, just the cover/bracket needs to be replaced.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like there may be a good opportunity for someone to make something purpose built stays permanently mounted at the correct jacking point. It wouldn't have to be very high profile, but might simplify things. Heck, with compressor, a built in jack might even be possible.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like there may be a good opportunity for someone to make something purpose built stays permanently mounted at the correct jacking point. It wouldn't have to be very high profile, but might simplify things. Heck, with compressor, a built in jack might even be possible.

built in jack ROCKS @!@

dipan

Reaction score
Built in jack. Great idea ...

I will probably use some bright color spray paint to clearly indicate the correct jacking points, but, to be honest, I doubt I will make the same mistake again ...

Total cost with labor was $350 including patching the punctured tire. Not bad at all. I was prepared for much worse, but, thankfully, the compressor was fine. Needed a new bracket and cover. I went to an independent LR service center, not the dealer, though, so I got it done for less I'm sure than the dealer would charge ...

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where are the jacking points?

Are there any pictures that point out the correct points to place a jack...

Don't want to make the same mistake and I am sure others are wondering about this too.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where are the jacking points?

Are there any pictures that point out the correct points to place a jack...

Don't want to make the same mistake and I am sure other are wondering about this too.
jamgolf read my mind. Would someone share some pictures of the exact locations of the jacking points? Thanks!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing about the pictures being posted. Rest assured those pictures are going to save this forum some mula for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635