LR4 2011 reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishrover

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum and not actually a Land Rover driver...yet. My wife and I are very interested in a low mileage (low 20's) 2011 LR4 in very good condition with clean Carfax etc. As the manufacturer's warranty will run out in about 6 months we were wondering whether cars of this year and model are generally reliable enough from a maintenance standpoint. Are we asking for trouble without a warranty and would we be better off getting a more expensive newer model with more warranty left?

I know this is an impossible question to answer for an individual car, but anyone have rough estimates about post-warranty yearly maintenance costs?

Cheers :beer:

horns

Reaction score
maintenance guestimate

I have a 2012 w/ 29K. So far I have not had any issues with it. However you should prepare yourself for the known costs. Unless you are a do-it-yourselfer, your oil changes, brake changes, etc.. will sky rocket in cost compared to what you may be accustomed to. I suppose once mine is out of warranty, I will find an independent shop and try to save costs, but the dealership will clean out your wallet. it is a great truck, but it is not cheap to drive.
If you do an "annual" service visit (oil change, filters, dealer-bs, etc...) I think these are 600+ dollars. A full brake / rotor job ran me $1,800.
If you get one in the low 20K mileage, be prepared for a brake job in the first year of ownership.
Again, you can steer clear of the dealership and save some money, but it will still be a lot more expensive to own than something like a Toyota.
I have decided that it is just one of those things that you can't financially make sense of - you just do it because you love it.

hope the helps your decision.

Irishrover

Reaction score
Thanks horns, my wife and I have had 15 years driving 2 German imports so I definitely know what you're talking about. Glad your experience of your 2012 model has been positive. Really appreciate your comments.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 2011 with 36000 miles I got it in march put 9k so far.
I did my bushings and soon my breaks since there at 6mm. Had a batt go bad and a sensor on the hood. Love the car

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Lux has been great. Only real issue was worn out wheel bearings on front right wheel at around 55k miles. I have 67k miles on it now. What an excellent vehicle!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2011 LR4 HSE in March. It had 30k miles and now has 44k (it is so enjoyable on extended road trips that it has seen a few nice excursions). It had a clean Carfax and maintenance records showed all expected services completed. However, don't rely on Carfax as gospel. For instance, mine has a replacement front windshield that was not reflected on Carfax. It had a new water pump installed under warranty before I purchased it.

Since I've had it I have replaced a hood latch and a lower windshield cowl that was buckling outward, and changed the oil (due for another but will do that myself using method and gear detailed on this forum). Put some new tires on it and when it was up on the lift the independent Rover shop I took it to said it was in great shape. The seat belt buckle receivers in the 3rd row don't stow properly when putting those seats down and I will have that fixed on my last warranty trip soon. I am also very close to needing a brake job.

Of course this is all anecdotal but my experience has been great so far. Good luck with your decision. Chris

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a '10 HSE, flew to NY from Detroit to get it. 34K on odo, clean carfax. We have a '06 Volvo wagon so we are used to expensive maintenance. Unlike the Volvo, in which parts get replaced at certain intervals, the LR is ala cart. If something is wrong, then it's looked at, otherwise it's not replaced. Since the build quality is essentially better grade than domestic, you won't be servicing it often. Big ticket maintenance items are brakes and oil changes. We love our LR and when paid off, I will buy another with the last year V8.

montyaloofah

Reaction score
I bot my 2011 hse with around 5k miles on it. I have 29k now. The car has been rock solid and a joy. I use it to commute in the winter time and it is extremely comfortable. I've had 2 scheduled services and all went well. I'm due for another service soon with a potential brake job. I'm a lil concerned that's gonna beat my wallet up, but frankly the car is worth it. I found an independent shop that specializes in European imports so will try that. Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo