LR3 Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm and Rogo,
I don't need to explain my statement to this thread regarding the t/case, when you get 30 plus years of on hand experience with Rovers and other vehicles then maybe we can talk.
In the mean time the LR3 is well know for bad diffs, t/case and bushings, anyone who has been around them knows that as a fact.
Why don't both of you find something else to do besides showing of your lack of mechanical Rover knowledge and immaturity.

I am not questioning your prior experience Mike, but you continue with the ad hominem diversions.

I believe that you retired before LR3's came out, but I could be wrong. I just haven't ever heard before that LR3's have a history of failed transfer cases (especially based on not changing the oil ahead of schedule).

All I'm asking you to do is point out some cases. You are active on quite a few enthusiast boards - surely one has come up on those that you can point us to?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that you don't have the knowledge of what is happening with the LR3's as well as other Rovers that use the same diffs, is not a reason for you to correct me whenever I say something you don't like.
So far with this thread, there are 2 people with the same issues, oh and you with your inexperience, why don't you spend 6 months or so and study up on what you drive and know little about, then if you think you can reply without belittling someone, then start replying with helpful knowledge and first hand experience.

Mike...I don't need to have 30 years experience to know that a DIFFERENTIAL is not the same as a TRANSFER CASE. It's statements like this that make me question your knowledge.

That and you just spout off things all the time, without backing them up. I respect your mechanical aptitude with Land Rovers...but a person does not need to be a retired mechanic to gain knowledge of the common LR3 problems. I post on this board and others enough to garner as much knowledge as you. I also am very close friends with the SERVICE MANAGER (just like you Mike! A Service Manager just like you!) at my local LR Dealership and ask him about these kinds of things all the time. I know which failures are common and which ones are not.

If your tone and delivery on your posts weren't so stand-offish AND if you weren't so full of $hit all the time, I prolly wouldn't go out of my way to bust your chops so much.

Have a good weekend, all that said...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do a google search for it, you get almost nothing. But I still maintain that Mike must be right. After all, he stated it - right here on the Internet. And he does have 30 years of experience managing the mechanics who actually did the service on Land Rovers prior to the LR3 coming out.

p.s. can anybody actually help the OP by answering his question about where the fill plug is for the TC? Mike? I imagine it ought to be pretty obvious, but since I've never looked for it I'll let you...

Last edited:

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not questioning your prior experience Mike, but you continue with the ad hominem diversions.

I believe that you retired before LR3's came out, but I could be wrong. I just haven't ever heard before that LR3's have a history of failed transfer cases (especially based on not changing the oil ahead of schedule).

All I'm asking you to do is point out some cases. You are active on quite a few enthusiast boards - surely one has come up on those that you can point us to?
WORD! My extended waranty expires in 2012 and I need to get any suspension compressor transmission gear box basically any engine and/or drive train issues handled within that time frame or its gonna hurt hella more than my $100 deductible. I absolutely appreciate any +/- feedback from all parties because I hear a lil hum/whine in my undercarriage and only have 66k mi. however; no apparent performance shifting probs in any mode. Is there a TSB out there regarding tcase trans diffs especially since the rear dif is bout the only thing exposed back there.???

Last edited:

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do a google search for it, you get almost nothing. But I still maintain that Mike must be right. After all, he stated it - right here on the Internet. And he does have 30 years of experience managing the mechanics who actually did the service on Land Rovers prior to the LR3 coming out.

p.s. can anybody actually help the OP by answering his question about where the fill plug is for the TC? Mike? I imagine it ought to be pretty obvious, but since I've never looked for it I'll let you...

Terribly sorry for ignoring the OP.

Attached are images showing the location of the drain and fill plugs on the transfer case. Both are pretty easy to locate and get to. First image is the drain plug, second is the fill. The transfer case is fill to overflow, so you should see a trickle come out when you remove the fill plug.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 151
  • fill.jpg
    fill.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 152

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the fluid specs, but I got mine from the dealer. You can get a pump at any auto parts store and drain and fill the fluid yourself (plugs are hex heads, though - many people do not have hex sockets).

Specifications
Sealers and Lubricants
* CAUTION: Do not use any lubricant other than that specified General Specification

Published : Jul 28, 2004
Item - Specification
*Recommended oil - Shell TF 0753
Capacity - Wet and dry fill - 1.5 litres, (2.6 pints) (1.5 US quarts)
Input shaft splines grease - Weicon TL7391
Item - Specification
Make - Magna Steyr
Model - DD295
Type - Two speed, permanent four wheel drive transfer box having synchronised shift on the move facility with an actively controlled wet clutch and 50/50 torque split across the centre differential
Clutch type - Wet, multi-plate
Maximum torque capacity - 2500 Nm (1842.5 lb.ft)

Trav

Reaction score
Well, I certainly didn't mean to start a ******* match.

I have sent the oil sample to Blackstone and will see what they say. I find it odd that it isn't cheaper to fix the whine than replace the whole part. I guess time is on my side becaus i'm out of warranty and it isnt going to cost any more if it grenades!

Ill post the results when they come in. Thanks Trav

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trav, if this doesn't help then have them take a look at the differentials. At a minimum replace the fluid in both diffs. I did just go through this myself...after changing the fluid in each I wound up replacing them both.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll jump back in. I'm not a trained mechanic or a LR expert, caveat emptor. I have worked on many different cars, mostly back in the early '90s when I ran an autolube and repair chain with my family in Santa Barbara, CA. That said, the whine in the different, transmission, or transfer case - aside from a normal sound - is the result of uneven or excessive wear. Often that comes from not enough fluid or not changing the fluid often enough. When that happens the gears and metal parts aren't bathed enough in the lubricant resulting in metal that can be broken off. In addition, the gear oil helps to keep the metal parts cool and dissipate heat. This is why it's recommended to get your gear oils changed in the first 500-1000 miles of ownership, to remove the metal debris created from the wearing together of the gears. Although that is more critical in the engine itself.
But, that should not continue to happen over time unless something fails or goes wrong - or wears out. Once you have that metal wear and debris in the gear box it's only a matter of time before something more serious fails. From a warranty and longevity perspective it makes the best sense to replace the whole gear box and start over.

That's my explanation, for any that benefit, of why the gear boxes would need to be replaced instead of a part or the fluid in them, once you've reached that point. Take it for what it's worth.

Based on my experience I would definitely have all the gear boxes and fluids checked. If the dealership serviced all of them and there are concerns about the quality of that service job and the results, you need to have a serious conversation with them and let them try to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. Good luck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why it's recommended to get your gear oils changed in the first 500-1000 miles of ownership, to remove the metal debris created from the wearing together of the gears.

Hmmm....so I should get my diff oil changed out again! I think I'm in that 500-1000 mile range since I had 'em both changed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112