LR3 and it's plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That scares me about the 303. My wifes Cherokee plastic turned white after a couple of years. Granted she didn't take care of it all the well, but when the plastics turn color, they look like hell and nothing, except maybe a can of black Krylon spray paint is going to get them black again.

I found this, I think the dealers use this:

http://www.autogeek.net/blackagain1.html

I hate the stuff that makes everything look greasy. The product above is described like that, but I think still worth a look

I use a lot of Meguiars products which work really well, and they appeal to all the auto detailing buffs like me, they have products for everything!!

http://www.meguiars.com/index.cfm

I'll keep looking!!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grendal_Fly said:
I have been using the 303 on all my cars for a while and while it is supposed to protect against UV fade, I have noticed significant fading on my LR3. I recently put on the Mud Flaps and could really tell how much the rest of the plastic has faded versus the new plastic flaps.

...ewww, anyone else notice this?

That's not good. I haven't treated anything yet @ 15,000 and was going to slap on the 303 this month as it seems to work well on everything else I've used it on. Hmmmm...

J

JC0976

Meguiars Next gen protectant (purple/green bottle) has never failed me inside or outside of my vehicles.

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I will look for it. I feel the same way about their products

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw this post - color of black plastics on LR3

By the way, I don't think you noticed fade... the mudflaps are _black_ plastic. The stock wheel arches and other slightly textured trims on the LR3 are not black, they are slightly greyish (from new)... the color is anthracite black or something. The side rub strips and mudflap accessories are black though, so if you put them on even a new LR3, they are darker. Looks fine to me, but just an FYI.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use BACK TO BLACK and very happy with it.Did not wanted to spend 30.00 on BlackWOW
product so i went with MOtHERS .after a first use i was not really impressed with a durability ,but like the back sticker says ,it gets better with if used regularly and it does.i had many wax smears from un careful waxing and it is all gone now ,after a few applications.I tried to use a Natural shine protectant from mcguires ,boy that turned out to be a mistake,although it works great inside of vehicle ,exterior application , not so much,especially after a first rainfall.

Disclaimer: i am not affiliated with any of these companies or products.

jeremyderek

Reaction score
I have a brand new to me, '05 LR3. The previous owner didn't really take much care of the outer plastic as far as I can tell, but I've found that the Turtle Wax "Ice Polish" works great on every bit of the exterior of my previous vehicles and current motorcycles. I used it on the LR3 the first day that I got it home, and it made a drastic difference in the appearance of the plastic parts as well as the somewhat faded wiper arms, roof rails, everything. This is the only product that I have found that works basically as a wax on painted surfaces, does not turn white on plastic, but rather improves its appearance, and protects it. I've been really impressed with this product.

Incidentally, I also now use the Ice interior product on pretty much all the leather and hard surfaces inside the vehicle. I cant say that I'm overly impressed with it, but I guess I'll continue to use it until I find something that I like better. I just like that it doesn't leave the surfaces super slick, greasy, or wet looking.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Meguiar's PlastX it works great to get rid of that faded look and makes all my plastic look new

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Forever Black". Period. Can be bought on Amazon. After following the instructions carefully and applying 3 coats my LR3 trim looks like the day I picked it up. No joke. Its lasted for 10 months so far with no fade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4