LR3 90k dealer visit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a laundry list of things that need to be done at my 90k service visit in 2 weeks. I have asked the dealer to supply my with an itemized estimate for things not covered by my extended warranty. I am going to list the things I am having done and any suggestions or comments would be helpful. I should have the estimate tomorrow, offer any guesses to the estimated.

Non-warranty items-

Replace brake fluid
Replace spark plugs
Lube wheel centers
Replace brake hoses
Transfer case fluid change
Diff. fluid change
Repack bearings
air filter
pollen filter
4 wheel alingment

Warranty Items

Control arm bushings are done front and back
Keep getting parking brake fault
Sometimes get suspension fault - remains in normal height, compressor doesnt run. compressor was replaced 25k ago ***?
Slight coolant leak---anyone else have this??

Thanks guys!

EG
2005 LR3 SE V8

LR3GuyJoe

Reaction score
For warranty, check your sunroof rails for cracks and also if your gas struts aren't lifting the tailgate like they use to get them to replace those.

For your non-warranty items. I'd say do the filters your self and buy them online the pollen filter is pretty expensive from the dealer. takes about 10mins to do them both and you'll save your self a 100 bucks hardest part is emptying all of your crap out of your glovebox to do the pollen one :)

Do the brake fluid change for sure cheap insurance to keeping the brake controler in good shape, new lines are a toss. Also I'd say have an independent guy do that and the rest of the non covered work you'll probably save alot of dough.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, hey what extended warranty do you have? im considering buying Continental Warranty's 5/60k extended for $4700 from dealer very soon... i just got out of my 5/60k new car one.... any info/experience would help!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if 5/60 means 5 years from when new and 60k from when new (which I think it does), I'd say it's about $3500 high...

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here repacked the wheel bearings themselves? I don't trust anyone else working on anything of mine. I do everything myself and it has worked fine. I just plan on doing them soon and would like to know if anyone might have the torque settings for the job. I have 81,000 on my 2005 LR3 and have only had the rear wiper motor and belt tensioner pulley go out. I am a mechanical engineer and design build and test equipment for oil and gas exploration. My LR3 is no different than any other vehicle I have owned. Other than the electronics the mechanics are basically the same. I am just somewhat amazed at these prices I see for service on these things. Why? Some of the work they make you feel is required is absolute rubbish. I bought my LR to use and yes it is a wonderful vehicle and does everything they say they can do. I might be crazy, but I am convinced that the dealerships do more harm than good to these cars. I have a great love for this brand and its history and I hate that they have gotten such a bad name over the years. Learning your car is important. Treat her good and she will be good to you. Cheers!!

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5/60k would be tacked onto my current mileage... you still think 4700 is alot?

im also out of warranty as of now so the Ford ESP that sounds good I cannot get..

if 5/60 means 5 years from when new and 60k from when new (which I think it does), I'd say it's about $3500 high...

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gmac major guard warranty, 3yr-36k. It expires at 101,000k for me. Paid about $2500 and it has more than paid for it self. Two month after getting the warranty I had the air compressor, a/c compressor and power steering pump replace along with some little things. Bill came to $3750 and all I paid was $100 and they covered a rental for 5 days.

EG

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck repacking the bearings (especially the front) yourself. I have heard on 4wd autos its a *****, plus you have to have certain tools. I'm not sure about the brake lines, I have a feeling that is BS and is going to cost a lot. I did inspect them and they look fine, I cant believe they would be prone to failure. I wish I had the time to do some things myself but I don't. I dont mind spending the money, my time is worth more.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy that when you were still in your factory warranty?

Sounds pretty inclusive if it covered the air suspension... i heard some reports that since LR3 has specific things that other brand vechiles dont have (air suspension) that some warrantys didnt specify its coverage over ordinary "shocks"...

I have a gmac major guard warranty, 3yr-36k. It expires at 101,000k for me. Paid about $2500 and it has more than paid for it self. Two month after getting the warranty I had the air compressor, a/c compressor and power steering pump replace along with some little things. Bill came to $3750 and all I paid was $100 and they covered a rental for 5 days.

EG

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty inclusive, go to GMAC and everything that is covered is outlined

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member