Losing oil - burning smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitepr

Reaction score
99 Disco II w/125,000 miles

I changed my oil this weekend and noticed that my Disco lost over a quart of oil since the last change just over two months ago. I am not leaking any fluids on the ground so I am assuming I am losing it thru the rings. I have also noticed a slight burning smell when I pull it into my garage lately. Any thoughts or concerns I should be aware of? Any evidence of these problems getting worse?

The engine has never needed much maintenance, except a new intake gasket at 90k miles.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you do have a oil leak some where if you lose a quart of oil and you experience a burning smell. The burning smell is probably your oil burning on your exhaust manifolds. When did you notice the lack of oil. How long in between checks? you probably have a small oil leak with no evidence of it hitting the ground yet. I would crawl under and take a good look. There is also this die you can buy and put it in your oil and check with a black light and it will show you where your leak is if you have a dirty underbelly. Most Rovers have some sort of leak.

whitepr

Reaction score
I have looked underneath quite a bit and have not been able to find a leak. I may need to look into some die. It had probably been a month since I had last checked the oil level. There is not even a drop on a clean garage floor so it can't be coming out too fast. The SES light just came on yesterday as well, but it is giving me the usual O2 sensor codes. I can usually take care of that after spraying the MAF sensor with cleaner. Think there is any relation this time to the oil or just a coincidence?

Thanks

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say check you engine oil cooler pipes. I was having a similar problem on my 98 Disco w/ 85000 miles but I don't know if the problems is fixed because I just replaced them on this passed weekend.

whitepr

Reaction score
Oil leak found. On the back side of the valve cover. The leak finally spread around to where I could see some oil build-up trickling down to the exhaust manifold and bolts below. Going to order new gaskets and bolts and see if the problem is solved.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. The valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to replace.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635