Looking to purchase - 2012 - LR4 - Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
I hope this posts to the right spot.

am looking at purchasing a 2012 LR4 HSE with under 90K on the clock. The second owner (TN) had the timing chain replaced in January of 2020 (has receipt) from a certified technician in TN and also has a new factory alternator. I would be the 4th owner. Originally purchased in CA. The 3rd owner I am looking to buy it from bought it for an to fit it as his overland vehicle, but work issues are requiring him to sell it. He also has a ton of parts that I am potentially purchasing. i.e. roof rack, wheels and tires, etc.

He is asking $16,000. I spoke to the mechanic who did the timing chain service and he said it is a solid truck. He is throwing in the control arms that he purchased as well (not needed at the moment) and the iid gap tool as well.

Any thoughts i.e. concerns, etc that I should be looking for besides the obvious? The auto check came back with one accident shown, which according to the second owner the first owner got bumped at a red light.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. No mention of cooling system maintenance though--water pump, crossover pipes, etc. When was the battery last replaced? What about brakes?

Timing chain replaced (awesome) but were the tensioners replaced with the updated version?

Nice that you will be receiving control arms and the GAP tool.

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
Hey Michael,
Everything was replaced. Water pump etc. The bill was over 7K, I will try and get it and pass it on for review if you would be able to. The brakes do not need replacing yet, but the owner bought the EBC PERFORMANCE BRAKE REBUILD KIT with slotted rotors and is going to sell them to me for about half the price, so I wasn't too worried about them. I'm getting a date on the battery, but he said it was strong.

Neil

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
Good morning. I have attached a pdf of the work completed on the truck in January. Not sure if it is listed but the "Y" pipe was also replaced.

Also I had mileage wrong it is just shy of 82K. Any thoughts/comments would greatly appreciated.

This will be my third LR4 and I am anxious to get back in one. My last 2010 went on an electrical rampage and I am now driving an outback!

Thanks.
Neil

Attachments

• CamScanner 01-23-2021 20.00.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
Sorry, I did not mention that, I am not knowledgeable enough to know and need to learn, as my last one scared me to ever drive one again and I just wanted advisement from you guys prior to jumping back in. I initially was looking at the SCV6 but this one popped up and I thought it was worth a look.

Thanks.
Neil

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I have attached a pdf of the work completed on the truck in January. Not sure if it is listed but the "Y" pipe was also replaced.

Also I had mileage wrong it is just shy of 82K. Any thoughts/comments would greatly appreciated.

This will be my third LR4 and I am anxious to get back in one. My last 2010 went on an electrical rampage and I am now driving an outback!

Thanks.
Neil

Yes, the cross over was replaced (LR018275). This is a good, thorough repair. I would say that 16K for this truck is a pretty good deal.

Welcome back to LR4 ownership!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not mention that, I am not knowledgeable enough to know and need to learn, as my last one scared me to ever drive one again and I just wanted advisement from you guys prior to jumping back in. I initially was looking at the SCV6 but this one popped up and I thought it was worth a look.

Thanks.
Neil

It does look like it’s worth a look at the very least, and at a reasonable price given all the peace of mind you’ll get from the previous repairs. That’s worth a lot in these vehicles as you know!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo