jumping in...valve cover project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I finally decided I'm going to try to change the gaskets on the valve covers.. (Tightening them did not work)...
Never tried such a project and I'm a little worried..
Been reading the workshop man.. and it appears straight forward enough..
Any tricks you guys can recommend?

How about parts tools needed .. (don't want to get to far in and be stuck waiting for the wife to get home so I can use her car to get them)

I'm thinking 2 valve gaskets (right and left .. though they appear the same)
An intake manifold gasket .. since I'll have to remove the manifold..
Radiator fluid since I'll have to drain the coolant..

Any special tools? Already had to purchase a 1 1/8 wrench for the oil drain and an 8mm 12 point socket for the valve covers.. anything else I might need and not have.

Anything else I should conceder doing while I have all this stuff off? (looks tike the thermostat might be doable though I haven’t had any problems with it)..

Thanks for any response..

Neill 97 Disco SE 7 92K

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just having a full set of metric tools should help...

I would also recommend cleaning every part you touch (this makes it easier to find problems later).

So some good degreaser and plenty of rags or towels.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your using regular gasket material and valve cover sealer don't get any of the sealer on the bolts make harder to remove later. If your using the plastic or rubber gasket that was probably on your Rover to begin with then don't use the gasket sealer. It will create gaps. Just make sure the surface contact is CLEAN.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635