John Bull Trail Run 10/10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go do Dishpan Springs and John Bull trail up by Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead this Saturday 10/10/09. Wondering if anybody would like to join. Going to be an early start since it will be a full day.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a fun day up there, every been up on the trails after a light snow, makes for a real interesting time.
Have fun, post some pictures.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, there will be plenty of people up there, JB is a busy trail, and for good reason, it's a blast! However, you will have to convience people you belong on that trail. I KNOW you do, but the Yota and Jeeper guys will be shocked to see your shiny mall crawler walk through those rocks. Its amazing how many of those built rigs break stuff on that trail, and the LR3's cruise through. Some of the SCLR guys (like Trynian here on this forum) run it regularly. Sean, you really should sign up to SCLR. It's got lots of folks on there just itching to do runs like this, and it's focused on your area.

I am hosting a New Member Orientation run on 11/1 Sunday. You can sign up as a "prospective member" and check us out if you wish. We will be exploring Horsethief Flats, Rose Mine, and Heartbreak Ridge.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, there will be plenty of people up there, JB is a busy trail, and for good reason, it's a blast! However, you will have to convience people you belong on that trail. I KNOW you do, but the Yota and Jeeper guys will be shocked to see your shiny mall crawler walk through those rocks. Its amazing how many of those built rigs break stuff on that trail, and the LR3's cruise through. Some of the SCLR guys (like Trynian here on this forum) run it regularly. Sean, you really should sign up to SCLR. It's got lots of folks on there just itching to do runs like this, and it's focused on your area.

I am hosting a New Member Orientation run on 11/1 Sunday. You can sign up as a "prospective member" and check us out if you wish. We will be exploring Horsethief Flats, Rose Mine, and Heartbreak Ridge.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Nathan. I went out with SCLR last weekend for the pumpkin run and had a great time. I've been trying to join ever since but they're having site issues. Sam's working on it for me. I was really hoping to get a post up there asking people if anyone wanted to join but just can't seem to get signed up in time. I've got all these nice shiny new add-ons and nobody to share them with! :biggrin:

11/1 sounds good I think I'll plan on seeing you there!

Trynian

Reaction score
Sign up, we will be going on more runs that are not on the calander. Looking at the 24th right now.

Don't get to fixated on Dishpan and JB, while we do cruise through it does take some serious finess. There are several places that can damage your vehicle if not done just right.

My buddy and I had lots of other less difficult runs to hone our spotting skills for each other, several under Nathans guidance. I would not even go on JB if he was not with me and he is ******* this weekend.

Cleghorn is pretty tore up right now and presents several good challenges for your new armor. I would give that a run to break in your stuff, I put a real nice dent in my sliders a couple weeks ago there.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Cleghorn two weeks ago, was fun but I've done it soo many times now that it's time for something new. I did Dishpan and that was a nice trail but I got stuck at the end because I had a compressor problem. I'll try JB and see how it goes. If i get stuck I'll turn around, no shame in that to me.

Trynian

Reaction score
I did Cleghorn two weeks ago, was fun but I've done it soo many times now that it's time for something new. I did Dishpan and that was a nice trail but I got stuck at the end because I had a compressor problem. I'll try JB and see how it goes. If i get stuck I'll turn around, no shame in that to me.

Cool, well if you have done that a few times recently you are prabably in good shape to give it a go. Try JB in reverse from the book. Starting at the Holcomb Valley area so from west to east. It is a little easier that way I think, we always come closer to body damage going east to west.

Dishpan and JB are pretty far a part about 10 miles or more of dirt road between. I think a good combo wouod be JB and Gold Mountain for a small group.

Last edited:

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, well if you have done that a few times recently you are prabably in good shape to give it a go. Try JB in reverse from the book. Starting at the Holcomb Valley area so from west to east. It is a little easier that way I think, we always come closer to body damage going east to west.

Dishpan and JB are pretty far a part about 10 miles or more of dirt road between. I think a good combo wouod be JB and Gold Mountain for a small group.

That sounds like a plan!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement Nathan. I went out with SCLR last weekend for the pumpkin run and had a great time. I've been trying to join ever since but they're having site issues. Sam's working on it for me. I was really hoping to get a post up there asking people if anyone wanted to join but just can't seem to get signed up in time. I've got all these nice shiny new add-ons and nobody to share them with! :biggrin:

11/1 sounds good I think I'll plan on seeing you there!

Hey that's great to hear. You can still join, you just have to use a check (remember those?), until they fix their SSL certificate issues on the site.

I just finished the trip sheet. Here is a link for the 11/1 run to History Eastern San Bernardino Mtns:
http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/docs/trails/SCLR_Horsethief_Flats.pdf

It will be nice to meet you finally!

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleghorn is pretty tore up right now and presents several good challenges for your new armor. I would give that a run to break in your stuff, I put a real nice dent in my sliders a couple weeks ago there.

Sean, ever done 2N17X? That's what Trynian is referring to. It's a continuation of Cleghorn, on the east side of Silverwood Lake. Its very similar to Cleghorn, but shorter and steeper. Heads up towards Pilot Rock, Willow Springs area.

Photos (only a few): http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Land-Rover/Off-Roading/2N17X/9772673_DVa3D#662566443_DgWdY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo