Installing Rasta 4x4 Transfer Case Plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips to installing this? I'll be attempting it tonight. I took a quick look and it looks like it requires removing two bolts that hold the cross member to the frame. They appear to be either spot welded or at least held in with lock tight. Looks like sheer brute strength is needed to get those loose?

Trynian

Reaction score
A good 1/2 inch drive socket wrench worked just fine with a box end wrench on the back.

Leave them a little loose until you get the plate on and tightened up.

You may need to adjust the holes in the plate a little sometimes they do not match up exact.

I found it easiest to jack the plate up in place and put the middle bolts in loose first. Then the front 2 and then the larger outside ones.

You may need to grind off a little of the exaust where the big round rubber damper is as for some it vibrates on the plate.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to adjust the holes in the plate a little sometimes they do not match up exact.

You may need to grind off a little of the exaust where the big round rubber damper is as for some it vibrates on the plate.

Thanks a lot! Can you give me a bit more info on the two notes above? What holes don't line up, and what part of the exhaust do some grind off, the pipe is only so thick so I can't imagine making that thinner would buy more than a couple MM of space...

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get one,British Pacific?I really would like to buy this particular item but chances are slim, no one seems to have it.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did. He told me I got the last one when I bought it two weeks ago.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is funny,because when i called last week, a guy told me that he just sold last one a week a go.Sucks for me,good lack with yours.

Trynian

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! Can you give me a bit more info on the two notes above? What holes don't line up, and what part of the exhaust do some grind off, the pipe is only so thick so I can't imagine making that thinner would buy more than a couple MM of space...

The distance between my front bolts and my center bolt was just a bit short and didn't quite reach so I had to make the holes a little oblong on the front ones to work.

The clearance between the plate and the exaust pipe where the big rubber damper is, it is very small and some have reported that it would vibrate on the plate right where the rubber part is mounted to the exaust pipe. I had this and the choices are to add spacers/washers to the plate to give it more clearance.

In my case I felt that the washers decreased the strength of the plate so I elected to grind the part where the rubber damper is mounted down some to get the clearance.

Sorry I don't have a pic but you can't miss it. You can feel how close it is by feeling up in one of the service cutouts toward the passenger side. At low RPM especially after things were well warmed up the vibration would be enough to cause a rattle.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed in 30 minutes thanks a lot for the support.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the rattle on mine by adding a few heavy duty stainless steel washers to hold the plate off the frame 1/8" or so. Worked great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo