If you ever thought about replacing your side door molding...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think twice, it's a nightmare after 6 years.

I'm talking about the side molding that can prevent some door dings. It was really faded despite coatings of Forever Black. And it was curling-up at the corners. I figured a new set would look good and the cost was just $230.

Parked the LR3 in the hot sun. It was rather easy to pull off the old molding. Into the garage to cool then found it was nearly impossible to get off the residual adhesive. No amount of Goo-Gone, paint thinner or 3M adhesive remover would easily remove the gunk. Finally softened the gunk with all the chemicals and used a plastic scraper to remove it. Needless to say the paint in that area is now scratched-up but thankfully the new molding covers all that.

Total time to remove the gunk- 2 hours. Time to install the new molding - 2 minutes.

morseman2003

Reaction score
I did the same with mine but used a low level heat gun to loosen the adhesive. Left with a mark in the paint which I'm sure was where I ended up pulling too ******* the old molding and so stressed the paint...

I've polished a few times and it doesn't look too bad but decided it wasn't worth putting new ones back on so left the door 'clean'.

Regards

Trevor

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trevor I'd like to see pictures of that! Please...

morseman2003

Reaction score
I'll try and get some photos up ASP but I'm away for a few days later this week but will try and take them before I go.

Regards

Trevor

morseman2003

Reaction score
Here's a photo which shows a hazy white mark running parallel with and above the crease at the bottom of the door. It's not very clear but if you zoom in you can just make it out.

To be honest, it just looks like a dirty mark and I've learnt to live with it (ignore it!) but it was annoying when I first took the strips off.

As I said previously, even with the heat applied, getting them off was extremely tough and I think I probably stressed the paint by pulling too hard.

If they are damaged, and you're thinking of taking them off then be prepared for some damage which might need covered up with new strips.

Regards

Trevor

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405366283.028736.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405366283.028736.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member