How to brighten up the hood logo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see many LR3s driving around with dark gray L A N D R O V E R letters on the hood. Mine is the same way.

I actually had them replaced once when I was under warranty, but the replaced letters did the same thing. I don't know if it is just natural, or from a cleaning product I used. I had a suspicion that the "Bug B Gone" was doing it, but after the deed was already done, I couldn't go back to shiny letters to find out.

Anyone have tips for getting these letters back to their natural color? Or, just brighten them up at all?
I'm not looking for chrome or anything shiny, just lighter than a gray that is so dark, it almost blends in with my tonga green paint!

Thanks.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 05 and 06 letters are darker and the coating comes off, making them darker. I looked at a lot of 05s and 06s and all the letters were peeling. My letters on my 07 are like a light to medium gray, definitely lighter gray than the bumpers so they contrast well with the black paint. No peeling either.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 05 and 06 letters are darker and the coating comes off, making them darker. I looked at a lot of 05s and 06s and all the letters were peeling. My letters on my 07 are like a light to medium gray, definitely lighter gray than the bumpers so they contrast well with the black paint. No peeling either.
Is everything else the same? (size and shape of back of letters?)

I was wondering how easy it is to remove the old letters and align/install new ones. Maybe get the '07 version if there is a difference as you noted.

Naturally, I'd still like to just brush something on mine that won't destroy the hood paint if I drip, but would lighten up the letters. That'd be the best option! I'm sure new letters from LR are $500... :ahhhhh:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasti-dip the letters while on the truck and just peel off the overspray....they have a few colors now.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some touch up paint from an auto store, it has a pen tip, but if you unscrew the pen tip it has a brush, I just painted my letters flat black (my LR3 is silver), but there are a whole bunch of colors available, and the paint seems pretty durable.

The flat black dries in less than 5 minutes, if you spill, make sure you have something to wipe it up with.

Product is made bu Dupli-Color, it was about $9 for a 1/2 oz bottle.

Plasti-dip is a great idea too as mentioned by RoverNut, and would probrably last longer.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some touch up paint from an auto store, it has a pen tip, but if you unscrew the pen tip it has a brush, I just painted my letters flat black (my LR3 is silver), but there are a whole bunch of colors available, and the paint seems pretty durable.

The flat black dries in less than 5 minutes, if you spill, make sure you have something to wipe it up with.

Product is made bu Dupli-Color, it was about $9 for a 1/2 oz bottle.

Thanks CWW. Was one bottle enough to do all the letters? Did you have to do anything to prepare the letters to accept the paint (prime, white with alcohol, etc...)

As much as I don't love the faded look of my letters now, a new paint job chipping off them this winter once road sand and salt starts hitting it at highway speeds will look worse...

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a clear coat for the paint too, I have not used the clear coat, but they seem to be holding up fine (went through a car wash once), before I painted I used a degreaser, then alcohol twice, then painted. I dont know how long it will last, but it should last long enough to figure something else out (like buying new lettering).

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I replaced both front and rear 06 decals with 07 (silver) but had a shop install them for me. I'm sure its not that difficult to do. Looks clean and no sign of peeling at all..

SSS

Reaction score
Plasti-dip the letters while on the truck and just peel off the overspray....they have a few colors now.

I did this last summer... my LR3 is Java Black and I used matte black Plasti Dip on the logo and it's still going strong. And, it's a much faster, simpler (and changeable) option than replacing the lettering or painting them.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are faded as well on my 07. I just ordered a new set for $70 on ebay. They're $110 on BP Utah

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4