hitch and bile rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Range Rover sport. I need to put a bike rack on it.
Can someone tell me everything I need, I assume a hitch that will accept a bike rack.
Also does any one have a lead on where I might be able to purchase all of this other than a dealer?
Thanks in advance.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Try REI.com, rackattack.com, or any local bike shop that carries either Yakima or Thule hitch mounts. The hitch you can buy on CL used or at the dealer. Where are you located? A guy in Plantation FL has a hitch for $300 on CL.

bkreitz

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Thule 917XTR rack and had to return it to REI because it not manufactured properly. Looked like crap on the back of the Rover. Wound up bringing home a Yakima Hold Up. Both racks were the 1-1/4" version, not the 2" version. Why you ask? Because I wanted to use the rack on both my wife's Jetta and the Rover and the Jetta has the smaller receiver hitch. Here's the most important thing to consider when buying a rack for the 03-11 Range Rovers. You will most likely require a hitch extension/extender to make the bike rack fit.

Thule Rack Looks Terrible!
2011-04-26%2011.42.05.png

Yakima Rack Looks Much Better
2011-04-28%2010.17.00.png

This actually worked out great for our situation because I just purchased the 2" to 1 1/4" converter that gave me just the right amount of extension on the factory receiver for the bike rack to clear the bumper. Not saying you need to go with a 1 1/4" inch bike rack but, don't be surprised if you need a hitch extension for it to fit on your Range Rover. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90