Hi From New LR3 Owner +Pics of 1st off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello. I read the forums a lot before making my purchase of an '06 LR3 HSE last week from Newport Beach Land Rover. VERY happy with my decision. Went and did the Cleghorn Rd trail here in SoCal this weekend. I was able to do every "difficult" fork without issue on the stock Goodyears.

Here are some pics. Looking forward to communicating with you all!

http://picasaweb.google.com/seanmcwherter/LR3FirstTime#

Trynian

Reaction score
Good job. Take a look into the SCLR club. They do at least 1 trip a month to different places and are heading up to Cleghorn in November.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the default program for the first couple miles of the trail which were pretty standard road that and high clearance vehicle could have probably handled. After the first few miles the options started to open up including some of the much more intense assents/descents you see in the photos. Some were probably 35 degrees, very hard to get back to the car when we'd hop out to take pictures because our shoes would slide all over the hill.

For these grades I used rock crawl mode which worked wonderfully. I read through the owners manual before heading out so I was somewhat familiar with what modes would work best. What I failed to remember, and wish I had, was how to get additional lift once in extended mode, which I was in many times. In fact I think I got myself OUT of extended mode when I needed it most by quickly tapping the suspension lever up. According to the manual that will drop it back down to off road height.

The hairiest ascent I did, with large boulders near the top put me in extended mode and when I got to the plateau up at the top of that hill, the suspension was jacked WAY up, that must have been extended mode, I can't imagine how it'd look in super-extended mode!

HDC was great for some of the steep descents, including the one you showed. I had also failed to recall that pressing the + button on the steering wheel would have increased the speed in HDC. I would have used it at least twice as much had I known that as I found the 2.3mph or whatever the default is to be too slow on many less steep descents.

I do have the HD package BTW.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pics, Sushi....looks really fun. I took my LR3 out 9 times this year...but I still got jealous when looking at your pics; with thoughts of "HEY, I wanna go drive that trail!!" coming to mind.

Please post more pics on subsequent outings; I like viewing them!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to your spare? Also, this isn't your first time offroad in general is it?

Trynian

Reaction score
Pressing the Brake and holding the height lever up for 5 seconds should put you in super extended mode if you are already in extended mode.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone on this board that knows about similiar places in Georgia?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I've offroaded many times before, mostly in my 4x4 F150.

I don't know what happened with my spare. It was my impression that the only way you could get the rear locker was if you had the HD package, and that all HD packages came with a full size spare. I checked after the trip and saw that it was a donut. I can't understand why, but the previous owner must have swapped it, or maybe the dealer did? Not sure what's up with that..... Could you tell I didn't have it because normally it's visible from the outside whereas the skinny one is not?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I could tell there was no spare but was also intrigued that you 4x4 info display showed an illuminated rear diff (although it was not locked)....so I wasn't sure if had the HD package or not! Has it shown it to be locked on the display before? Yeah...someone (either dealer or prior owner) swapped it....because they originally come together (locker and spare).

I could only assume (and you've confirmed) that you had prior offroading experience because that doesn't look like a novice-trail! There was no sign of you having ***'d your pants as a first-timer so it definitely looked as if you'd had prior experience!

Good stuff....next step for you is to get some new/different tires! Sell those GY's while you can!! Lots of info on this board as far as options go. I bought the Coopers and have been happy with them. You have 19" rims and may consider the Wrangler MT/Rs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo