Help Towing a 23' Airstream Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LolaT

Reaction score
The key is black.
Couldn't get the link to work.

Looks like this one
KNB500023_zps35b89851.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
black key, oldest model.

side benefit of newest model is better location of mount point and pin. further back and higher/ less under and forward

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing a larger trailer with the LR3 seems to raise the temperature a bit, I have seen many threads on the subject, have look over at airforums.com

I have a 2015 25ft and it is too much trailer at 7600lbs and approx 800lbs tongue.

I don't recall the 23D numbers, but I seem to recall the tongue weight was the major issue, not the total weight.

With regards to the standard hitch, for safety, always go with the lowest rated number, in the manual it states 550lbs, the hitch is stamped with 770lbs

Remember, Land Rover do not recommend the use of a WD hitch, that is in the manual.

People also question the short wheelbase of the LR3, saying for longer trailers it could reduce stability, I do not really think there is much concern here as the LR3 weighs so much.

Please contact CanAm http://www.canamrv.ca as they are probably the most experienced company for modifying cars/trucks to increase the ability to tow. The advice you can get from them can then be used locally to get any modifications done you may need. It is very common for them to recommend certain hitch reinforcement to the chassis.

Please pay attention to the GAWR (gross axel weight rating) and the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These are on the door sticker, take the time, do some sums, ask for help on the forums if you are getting a little unstuck...

Finally, the LR3 is an amazing tow vehicle. No doubt it can tow more then the paper spec says, but safety has to be the number one priority, don't risk your life or those around you, get professional advice :)

I hope this helps.

LolaT

Reaction score
My husband called Can Am today and they basically told him towing with the LR3 would be fine. Just use "a WD system". For best value, they recommended the Eaz-Lift WD Hitch and mentioned they also sell Blue Ox and Husky. That was it, noting that doing the kind of hitch reinforcement they are accustomed to doing on smaller TV's was not likely to happen in our area. Plus, we wouldn't have anywhere to put the spare tire (that's just our observation).

We have the 3rd generation (newest) LR quick release hitch receiver on order.

Based on the information and other recommendations we've been able to collect from Can Am, the local LR dealership, the Florida LR dealership and Airstream forums (have found a few people there with LRs towing), it looks like we will need to use a WD system and anti-sway. So, right now we're narrowing it down to the Blue Ox Sway Pro.

Getting closer, but this has not been a fun process.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CanAm are awesome, I am glad they helped. If they say no problem, with all their experience, then that is a great piece of feedback for all of us!

Please update us with how the towing goes, happy airstreaming :)

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
I tow a similar trailer, if a bit smaller, with my LR3. I use an Equalizer hitch and wouldn't consider doing anything else. It has great sway control but also pushes weight back onto the trailer axles, distributing it better across the load. I've had no problems with the suspension system, and feel that this is a much safer way to tow.

I also use and highly recommend the P3 brake controller others have mentioned.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

xray132

Reaction score
It will work

Here's my eaz lift set up, it was the set up I was already using. Sway bar is critical for the short wheel base. Just take your time except at the bottom of a hill, then get on the throttle if you can to keep your rpm up. My Super Duty and my Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel both heat up if I'm pushing them. I have a 25ft Forest River.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 42

LolaT

Reaction score
Towing successful

Well, we finally got everything set up. Drove five hours to pick up the Airstream and everything came together pretty well except for the Curt LED trailer light adapter we had purchased to deal with the flickering lights issue. (I hate to say it, that was the ONLY piece of the towing puzzle I didn't research myself and was picked out by the husband). That just didn't work and we tried to find another adapter locally to no avail so we just had to drive back like that. At least, I was relieved to see, the brake and signal lights still worked. There's one on eTrailer that I think will work. We drove back from Boise to Salt Lake without incident. Phew. I even drove for a couple of hours on i-86.

18061767275_9d402b69a9.jpg

18035264686_901d362e32.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635