Hazard light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thespanishbull

Reaction score
:confused: I have a 2005 land rover L3 and when I drive sometimes the hazards lights come on for some reason. When I pull over, stop and shut off vehicle, sometime it won't restart. Any ideas anybody?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm I think you need to take it somewhere and get the codes read on it to start with. It could be a lot of things, but that would be a good start. Let is know where you are, perhaps there is a good independent who can do it near you.

Computer / ECU problems near the battery compartment.
Instrument pack wiring problems.
inertia fuel pump cut off switch on the fire wall.??? not sure about this one. This was true on a DII I am not sure about the LR3/D3

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try charging up the battery

tlt's comments are much more helpful than mine below.

Just to eliminate a number of possibilities, if you can, put your battery on a battery charger for a few hours, but more importantly, each night, put the battery on a trickle charger for a week or so.

You may have a problem with the electrical charging system.

There is an alternator failure mode that is really the regulator has failed or is failing and it goes into a sort of fail safe mode where it keeps the charging voltage to about 13 volts maximum. That is not enough to fully charge the battery. The alternator will still make enough power to run the headlights and engine, radio etc, but not enough to really charge the battery as strictly speaking, it is a regulator problem, not an alternator problem.

As such, the computers detect under voltage and tend to sense problems that are not really there.

The fact the four way flashers go on for no reason is a symptom of the 3 feeling sick. The flashers will go on if the computers think the 3 has just been in an accident - that sort of thing; hence getting the battery fully charged and keeping it that way for a week of so of normal driving around could be helpful.

It could be that the problems will tend to disappear. If so, when you stop the charging, then the problems might reappear; if so, then maybe you have a problem with the charging system - either the battery or the alternator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90