Front Control Arm Catastrophic Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my 05 LR3 in for the 67,500 mi service and they called my wife and said "we think you will like the ride better if we replace all your tie rods...." So we did. Hmmm.

You know what It really did ride better. I had noticed a vibration while driving on the highway as if I had a wheel out of balance. This apparently was the cause. I'm just surprised they didn't give the the song & dance about the Cooper's being the cause for this.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR is well aware of this problem. It seems to be happening to everyone. Mine were replaced a 35,000 miles under warranty. If you're taking your car in for service while it's still under warranty you need to force them to check them and give you the piece of paper saying they are fine.

Back to the original subject: I think I would have tried to force them to total that car. I mean a mechanical failure in the vehicle (on a known issue) caused a major accident. There are plenty of enterprising attorneys out there that would be more than helpful with your cause.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going through the post and came across this. I have an 05 with 75k and haven't had problems with the bushings. It does show a considerable amount of corrosion on the control arms. How much would it cost (Parts) to replace both front control arms? Should I be concerned?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After this post has been revived I am now at 100K and this incident has got me extremely concerned. I will be inspecting things tomorrow.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading these LR3 forums for close to 5 years, both this forum and the disco3.co.uk site. This is the only instance of failure I have seen. I would say that if you have an '05 with 75,000 miles I'm shocked your bushings aren't worn out. I had my fronts replaced at 28,000 miles on my '05.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo