Front bumper winch mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sailhuntfish

hey I am new to this site and think it's great. I am looking at front bumper w/winch mount options among other things for my 99 DiscoI. I saw a thread in the archives about Northwestparts in Oregon. Does anyone know where they are located or do they have a website? I can't seem to find anything.

Also, I saw some people talking about building their own front bumper. Did anything come of that?

thanks,
Caleb

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have built my own, you can see it in my gallery. Depending on what you are wanting to do with this bumper, you can go with ARB, TJM, or RoverTym as well as a few others, but it really depends on where you live, how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it... If you are talking serious off roading I would build my own or go with RoverTym, if you just want it to look cool and maybe off road a little, ARB or TJM.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
If you don't want to spend alot or want a full winch bumper, I got a Hidden/Discreet Winch Mount from www.DAP-inc.com for about $125, so I can use a regular bumper. You just cut/modify the bumper to access the winch. But i really like it since it's my daily driver, I didn't want a heavy steel winch bumper on it. You can see it on my gallery pics on here, or there's a few pics of it on my MySpace page. But mine is a DiscoII, but that mount will fit a DiscoI also. Just another option.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot about that option Discoverlover2000, and by the way I have seen his bumper up close and personal (no he wasn't winching my disco either) and it looks very good and did the job very well. I watched him winch several people with it.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DiscoveryLover2000 said:
If you don't want to spend alot or want a full winch bumper, I got a Hidden/Discreet Winch Mount from www.DAP-inc.com for about $125, so I can use a regular bumper. You just cut/modify the bumper to access the winch.

I like - very much. I too don't want a heavy steel replacement, but would really like a ***** in front - Oops I mean winch. If for any reason the plastic bumper doesn't make it off the trail, oh well. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

Thanks for the link. Any advice on installation?

J

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
Cutting the Front Bumper to fit is a pain, cause no template is given with the Winch Mount. Just have to trim a little bit at a time till you get it right. Here is one link from a guy that did it, but the pics are small.

http://s99930825.onlinehome.us/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=35

If you plan on doing the same to yours, I can take better/closer pics of mine and post them, along with some measurements that may be helpful. Attached is a pic on my DiscoII to give u an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IM000197a.JPG
    IM000197a.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DiscoveryLover2000 said:
Cutting the Front Bumper to fit is a pain, cause no template is given with the Winch Mount. Just have to trim a little bit at a time till you get it right. Here is one link from a guy that did it, but the pics are small.

http://s99930825.onlinehome.us/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=35

If you plan on doing the same to yours, I can take better/closer pics of mine and post them, along with some measurements that may be helpful. Attached is a pic on my DiscoII to give u an idea of what it looks like.

Those pics are tiny indeed - but thanks. I will begin to investigate further, and appreciate your info. Would a sythetic line be a problem, since it appears the fairlead options are a little limited.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
I have the regular steel cable on mine. But I don't see having a synthetic line to be a problem, would just need to get a Hawse Fairlead instead of a Roller Fairlead like I have on mine. I don't see why a Hawse Fairlead would not fit to the Discreet Winch Mount. The Roller Fairlead came with my winch, so that's what I installed on mine.

S

sailhuntfish

thank you guys very much. Thats some great info. Joey you did a nice job with that bumper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635