Found vice grips on my coolant lines!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pixelpro

Reaction score
I was poking around under the hood today to try and figure out why when my headlights are on my brake lights are stuck on. So effectively I have no brake lights, the third light and everything else are illuminated all the time. But I digress, I found these vise grips locking off the coolant return line!? This cant be normal.?

9415717506_bff8cd1c2a_z.jpg

9415717024_4918f7a0d4_c.jpg

It looks like they've been in there a while, should I remove?

:stupid:

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, take them off. Whoever replaced the coolant tank left them there.

As to the brake lights, check your bulbs in the back, including the sockets they sit in. Usually a bad ground(the contact on the side of the socket) that shorts out the bulb.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the equivalent of the surgeon sewing up the patient with the scalpel left inside.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but it looks like the front diff breather cap is also an older style. LR revised the cap to keep pressure from building in the diff. Anyone else see what I'm talking abou - the small upward tube.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll bite...if that is the old diff breather cap, what does the new one look like? How is it different and how can one tell?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess not...

do a search for LR019450, you'll see what it looks like, and there is a UK based disco3 forum that has a very good walk through with pictures.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find it....was hoping for a quick narrative description. Mine is supposed to be the new one. It LOOKS new (clean) and it's skinnier.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is much larger in diameter, I'd say easy half inch, vs the same size as the tube.

Looks almost like a funnel coming off the tube, and goes off at an angle, not just inline with the tube.

Between not being able to link to another thread, and having a 19.5kb limit on PDFs, I'm not sure how I can show anything.

Try a search for LTB00245, that was the bulletin that introduced it and a service fix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge