Duratracs or Scorpion ATR on R19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigvalpasha

Reaction score
I know there are very few options on R19, and I'm hesitant as to purchase Goodyear Duratracs or Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. I have had a pretty bad experience with my Jeep Cherokee going from Silentarmors (which were a beast off road) and then replaced them with Destination ATs based on Tirerack reviews. Destinations are so good onroad and soooo bad off road, that I DONT WANT TO DO THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN with my LR3.

I definetely want the tires for OFFROAD use; that is in steep snow and ice in Mexico's volcanoes, mud, clay and gravel. Little "rock climbing".

Any advice based on offroad experience will be gladly welcome

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should know already that most people will say..."buy 18" wheels and be done with it" On the one hand you're saying all this tough off road stuff you want to do...but on 19". It's kind of goofy considering the available choices.

It's like hiking in dancing shoes. Putting a Vibram lugged sole on a shoe meant for Tango still isn't going to make it good for a trail ;)

If you want to do as much as possible with the 19", go do searching on the lr4 section where they have a much harder time sourcing 18" wheels. 18" LR wheels are easy to get for $250 ea. The tires are too many to choose from and cheaper than the few highly inferior 19" tires.

bigvalpasha

Reaction score
Thanks jwest I love the analogy of hiking in dancing shoes LOL, unfortunately thats indeed true. So your pick is going down to 18, which tire is your choice in this size? Houm_Wa suggests duratracs although on 19 they are not rated for snow.. so freaking complicated

srschick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off - DEFINITELY go with the 18" wheels. You'll just be happier with the available choices for tires.

Unless you go with a larger (32"?) LT rated Duratrac, you're limited by the load ratings. the lower sized aren't even XL rated.

I think BFG just came out with the KO2 in a size that are manageable?

Now, you CAN go with a larger tire (over 31.5) but that introduces a whole other set of issues, but most of those can be mitigated with some "modifications"

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard cooper zeon ltz are quite nice, not sure if they still make them...

wyrover

Reaction score
I have the DuraTrac's on our 07' LR3 HSE. They're a XL rated tire and have done great in the snow and ice this past winter. I have several other friends I work with that have them on their trucks and they also can't say enough good things about them. I looked at the Cooper's as well but couldn't find anyone that could get them. I have no regrets with the Good Year's.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go 18s, and get Nitto Terra Grapplers. I run them (on my Jeep and the LR) and they do great for an all terrain. I've used them in the Rockies, Applachians and down in swamps in FL and they do great for an all terrain. Mud, like any AT, they can get a bit clogged. Just my opinion...Duratracs are a soild bet too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo