Driver's Airbag module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a "warping" of the cover on the drivers airbag? At 22500 miles I directed my dealer to replace my steering wheel as the leather covering was peeling off. I also questioned the airbag cover because it seemed to be warping/curling up on the edges, particularly on the top. Now, about 3000 miles and three months later, there is a 1/4 to 3/8 gap between the cover and the plastic steering wheel hub. I brought it back to the dealer where the mechanic told me that LR is "aware of the problem and working on a solution and that there are no replacement airbags available in N.A.".

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know if there is new airbag in the works?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I showed the same thing to my dealer a month ago. They went out on the lot and looked at all of their stock and saw the same thing, and figured that the cars are made that way. I took their word for it, but now I think I need to press on them to replace it. It looks like the plastic is warping from heat. My LR3 has 45k miles (26 months old) but I really noticed it earlier this year.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. It doesn't seem like anyone else has had an airbag replaced. I looked at new vehicles on the lot and they had covers that touched the plasitc, not a great example of "fit and finish" but not a hugh gap either. I live in South Florida and both LR's (a 2002 DII and 2005 LR3 HSE) that I have owned have shown serious sun damage after just 2 years. The airbag cover is most warped at the top, where it would exposed to the most sun.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 05 and noticed it as well on an 06 loaner I had so didn't think too much about it. When I was given an 07 loaner it wasn't like that so I mentioned it to the dealer who said they would look into it. Nothing done so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo