D1 Radio Stuck Cassette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dishsoap1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I use my stock D1 radio cassette deck to play tunes from my Zune. My problem is that earlier I tried to eject the tape and it would not come out. Also it keeps clicking it from side 1 to side 2. I tried pulling on the wire to help it eject, but I can't get it to come out. Is there a manual tape eject on this radio? Somewhere I can stick a paper clip in or something? As of right now I can't listen to the radio or anything. Thanks

Tim

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like you are using a cassette head adaptor. Throw it out once you get it out or be very careful with it. You may have to pull the deck out of the dash and remove the top cover to extract the cassette. You may be able to extract it by gently pushing down on the cassette with a finger or pencil then ejecting the cassette. Consider buying an adapter that thru puts your antenna not one of those nasty fm frequency adapter. The one I speak of connects thru the antenna wire which on my 95 can be unplugged behind the glove box. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

dishsoap1

Reaction score
I was able to get the tape out, but the radio still thinks it's in Tape Mode and I still cannot use the radio. Any advice on what to do now?

Also I will look into the antenna adapter in the future.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the tape is out but it is still playing,'the mechanism may be broken. Hold the cassette door open and shine a pen lite in. Locate the lever to the back side of the tape deck and litely push it away from you. Then push eject. It helped to have three hands or lodge a pen lite in the door. Sounds like the cassette was not fully inserted because of the cord. Usually this will repair it. You'll obviously be able to see the lever once you shine lite in the cassete door. This in addition would be a proper time to clean the deck. A high quality rubber roller cleaner and head cleaner on a shammy cloth works best. Or a lint free cloth tied to q a tip . Never use a cleaning tape. Hey ya never know when your cassette will come back in vogue and what about that chet atkins and mark knopfler tape.

coachgeo

Reaction score
Now that the tape is out but it is still playing,'the mechanism may be broken. Hold the cassette door open and shine a pen lite in. Locate the lever to the back side of the tape deck and litely push it away from you. Then push eject. It helped to have three hands or lodge a pen lite in the door. Sounds like the cassette was not fully inserted because of the cord. Usually this will repair it. You'll obviously be able to see the lever once you shine lite in the cassete door. This in addition would be a proper time to clean the deck. A high quality rubber roller cleaner and head cleaner on a shammy cloth works best. Or a lint free cloth tied to q a tip . Never use a cleaning tape. Hey ya never know when your cassette will come back in vogue and what about that chet atkins and mark knopfler tape.
OK... so this thread is OLD AS HELL.... but it's the closest one to having info I need.

My new to me Rusty Ol' 1996 Disco 1's tape deck appears to be stuck in TAPE mode. There is no tape in it. Tape 1 shows on the LCD screen. Weather Band button works fine and do get signal for WB. There is no Radio button so I assume the default is Radio On unless a tape in inserted. Hence the problem. When I push and hold eject button....... it whirrs away for a moment.. but nothing happens. I'll have to replace antenna... appears to be broke off

Can't decipher this member's instructions quoted above. I see no lever for example and the idea of "lightly push it away from you" is very vague. Would that be push away backward? Sideward? Attempted pushing several things in there but nothing moves inside that I've pushed on; so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Reaction score
Don't like to cross pollinate forums but in case someone comes here asking same questions..... found answer here that gives details on issues, how to repair with part #'s along with head replace at same time. and or explains a work around that dead ends using the tape but allows you to get back to radio. Mayyyyyyy be can do last with out removing deck. Otherwise.... full repair requires removal and partial disassembly and about 30? bucks in parts and shipping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635