Control arm bushings and ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you help clear up conflicting information I have on these items? I've had a tech tell me and have read here that the whole control arm assembly needs to be replaced instead of the degrading ball joints and bushings in the front lower control arms. Atlantic British sells the individual parts, so why not just replace the bushings and joints?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general it's more labor-intensive to replace the individual parts as compared to just replacing the entire control arm. So...the typical approach is to just replace then entire arm.

Trynian

Reaction score
In general it's more labor-intensive to replace the individual parts as compared to just replacing the entire control arm. So...the typical approach is to just replace then entire arm.

I agree with this 100%. Changing out the individual parts is a real pain.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a cheaper alternative than Atlantic British for these control arms? My wallet still stings from Fridays epb actuator and shot brake shoe replacement.

Trynian

Reaction score
Is there a cheaper alternative than Atlantic British for these control arms? My wallet still stings from Fridays epb actuator and shot brake shoe replacement.

I use rover parts west out of Vegas for all my parts. I have never seen better prices generally. Looks like they are running about $216 for a complete lower control arm.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread -- When I had the EPB actuator replaced, the tech warned me the front lower control arms and rear sway bar bushings were on their way out. After 3 months and about 2 of those having done regular beach driving, I've been waiting for the 'shoe to drop' and for any of the above to start to go - but nothing yet.

I've noticed a few things I'd like to get a read on. If anything, I notice my rig swaying when going over uneven potholes. Not a ton, but enough for me to notice. I'm not sure if the sway is typical or if it's a sign that the rear sway bar bushings are going. If the consensus is it could be the rear bushings, can those be replaced (look inexpensive enough on Atlantic British) without replacing the whole sway bar? Is that an easy enough fix for someone with very limited mechanical abilities and even more limited tools and no lift or jacks?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy your own genuine parts, lucky8 or landrovermerriumparts and take them to a good independent if you don't have the right stuff.

The original lower arms were upgraded slightly, and the ball joint is bigger. Rebuilding them, is very labor intensive.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my dealer replaced my swaybar bushings for about $250. For me, and how long it would've taken me to do it....that was a good deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635