Contemplating an LR3 Purchase almost 100K Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjbanks007

Reaction score
So moved to CO from TX with my 08 Xterra that's 2wd, No Bueno! Found an 07 LR3 with 98K at the local LR Dealer, asking $18K. Drove it last week and was very impressed. I have owned an Audi in the past which unfortunately spent a fair amount of time in the shop. I want to know am I crazy to buy a LR with almost 100K and looking to put another 100K on it??? The sales guy highly recommended an extended warranty that he estimated around $3500 for maybe 36K miles coverage. I am DIY guy so doing little things here and there doesn't worry me but will this truck need something major soon or is it really just a roll of the dice and not abusing it???? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Casey

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy...that one is really gonna vary on who owned it before and how they took care of it. There are plenty of posts on this board outlining what to look for so I won't re-hash all that, but if it checks out and has been maintained well, then I don't think you're crazy...it'll go 200k. The price sounds a bit high though for a 90k mile vehicle.

pastureboy

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LR3 with about 130,000 running strong. I also bought this used at about 115,000 and put some heavy attachments but it was not bothered.

iarpak

Reaction score
We just purchased an 07 LR3 HSE with 93k miles on it for $18900. The key is finding a decent vehicle. Ours was a 2 owner ex-lease CA car. Super clean. Look for trucks that are obviously taken care of & well maintained.

We did notice a small leak in the steering rack & the front diff before purchase. Going in, I know I'd be changing the oil, replacing the MAF, O2 sensor, filters etcl. It already had new brake rotors/pads or I would have changed those too. Tires were also at 85%. The transmission pan has a small leak. Am planning to replace the pan (which also has the filter built in to it) and replace the fluid. The transmission fluid is also ridiculously expensive so keep that in mind. Cooling system is solid or else I would have replaced all the hoses(will do that in about another 10-15k miles). All the above is what I would have done on any used vehicle I purchased. The largest possible single expense here is possibly having to replace the steering rack. Rebuilt will run around $350-500 for the part. I'm keeping an eye on it. If it is a small leak, I may let it go for now.

The labor can be ridiculous so finding a competent non-dealer mechanic is key. Like you, I am willing and able to work on a lot of the smaller items myself & take it the mechanic for the big stuff.

Also, it is surprising how cheap the parts are compared to BMW parts. The parts themselves are not much more expensive then Honda parts. But you do have a lot more parts than a comparable Honda (such as the air springs and all the related parts). It is the accessories that will **** the bank account. I'm stunned at the prices of racks, footboards etc. But the only accessory I'm planning to purchase are OEM LR rubber mats.

The thing to remember is that for what you are paying, you get an absolutely amazing vehicle. I've driven Hondas for the last 20 years or so. My current commuter car is an 06 Accord VP 5sp with 128k miles that runs great. But I'm thoroghly enjoying the LR3. The ride, quality, interior & capabilities are amazing. The way the doors close feel incredible. Considering what you pay, I believe it is a bargain & I think the 07 hits the sweet spot. The values are there because of the bad tast the previous Discovery left in people's mind due to the unreliability. The 05 & 06 had a couple of issues with water leaking into the interior etc. which the 07 seem to have fixed. And if you look at LR4 prices, they are not depreciating nearly as much as the LR3 has. And as long as you stay on top of the maintenance, you'll be fine. Plus this is a highly engineered vehicle & to me, it is worth the expense of maintenance. My Accord, on the other hand, is a mass produced car that does not incite much emotion from me besides being a dependle vehicle that is good for the job I need it to do.

I hope this helps & good luck with which ever vehicle you end up buying.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt be scared of that purchase with the mileage. As Houm mentioned, work on that price if you can though.

And if you are thinking of warranty, study it and make sure it covers all main components including suspension system, differentials and arms.

cjbanks007

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and I agree the price needs some work. One other question does this have a timing belt/chain replacement due or any other expensive scheduled maintenance coming up?

Thanks,

cjbanks007

Reaction score
Any other advice? Scheduled maintenance due?

Thanks for the info and I agree the price needs some work. One other question does this have a timing belt/chain replacement due or any other expensive scheduled maintenance coming up?

Thanks,

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a timing chain....and I don't remember if it's a scheduled maintenance item, but if it is it's out there a ways.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 HSE with 65k on it. While I love it and I keep it in the best condition possible. I will not be keeping it to 100k. I will probably sell it about 80-85k to a lucky person for next to nothing and buy an LR4.

Personal experience for me has been, the upkeep on luxury cars beyond 100k gets spendy and the depreciated value of the car rarely justifies it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4