Check brake pad error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been getting this error on my dash - mostly when I make a hard left or right. The pads are fine as I've had the wheels off a couple of times and there's plenty left, so I think it's a loose connection. It started infrequently at first, mostly when going over washboard access roads and it's now becoming more common.

Does anyone have experience with this and suggestions for a DIY fix?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of your sensors is probably cracked. You can replace it, or just short it out. Depends on how much you care if it's working. They cost around $20 or so at atlantic british. Obviously you'll have to determine which one is the problem. There's one in the front and one in the back, I forget which side for which.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a thinner wire that leads in between both pads if I remember correctly. At the end is a fuse type sensor and you can pull it out easily... needle nose worked for me. The rear sensor is on the passenger side, I believe the front is on the drivers side.. haven't done the fronts yet.

I ended up cutting off the sensor and splicing the wires together. I haven't had any alerts after splicing when I changed the pads and rotors.
Sorry, no pic!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I was going to guess left rear, right front. But I really don't remember. As Biagetti said, you're looking for a wire going to the brake pad. It's obvious when you get under there. The connector on the other end of the wire is probably behind the plastic wheel well lining. I also spliced mine together, since I check the pads in the fall and spring when I'm putting snow tires on.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha...started to second guess myself here! Just checked the bible and yes, the sensor is on the rear right and on the front left.

Search Bodsy's Brake Bible... he has pictures and great details if needed.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to fit a new sensor if the brakes aren't new. So I'd just take the old sensor, cut it and there are two wires in it, join them together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635