Black Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating painting my 5 spoke 18" wheels black. Every time I go do some serious rock crawling I get some serious wheel damage. Right now 4/5 of my wheels are scraped up pretty bad. I'm thinking if I shoot them with some flat black paint I'll be able to touch them up after I get any damage.

I have the Bonatti Grey color. How do you guys think matte black wheels would look? Am I right in my assumption that I could repaint them and have them look pretty good?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with flat black. I used some heavy degreaser and bleach white to remove the grime. then grinded down some wheel thrash and gave them a good sanding. spray bomb with some flat clear works great. a couple coats and they will last a good bit of time. plus, like you said you can always just do some touching up while they are on the truck. i recommend getting one of those sprayers that go on the top of the cans, it eliminates fatigue in your hand and wrist.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Spray bomb with some flat clear"? Paint a flat clear coat over the black?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Spray bomb with some flat clear"? Paint a flat clear coat over the black?

we call spray can painting "spray bomb." yes, i put some flat clear overtop the matte for some more protection. added more durability without the shine.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I touch mine up with flat black Rustoleum and those doctor's office sized Q-tips.
For the sliders I use a small sponge roller. Works great.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I love about the Land Rover is it's balanced look between pure off-road machine and luxury SUV. I guess one of my biggest concerns is that flat black wheels would push it over the top to the dedicated off road look...

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but that scratched up look on the stock wheel finish does'n't look good.
So you have to decide. Is there a second opinion in your household that might
have a problem with the black?

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
If they are scratched up pretty bad, I would take the leap.

Once you go black...

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get more mud on them. Fills in the scratches nicely...
DSCN3595.jpg

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used self etching primer as well to prime the wheels held up great on my tacoma. I'm on the fence regarding rattle canning mine or getting it professionally shot/powdercoated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo