Anyone take the new Land Rover LR4 off road yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aesopian

Reaction score
Went out last weekend thinking it would be drier than it was, but there was a range of 4 - 10 inches of snow. Snow depth varied depending on where I went. Driving through a flat trail though snow only with some occasional ups and downs did well in the snow. The snow/grass function I think helped with maintaining traction.

Got to a point that I decided I better do a 3 point turn around and ensure I could get out.

On a different section of road, a drop off on one side and a slope to the inside I couldn't maintain traction. Snow was about 6 inches and I kept slipping towards the hillside. No problems with this, but my wife didn't feel comfortable.

Found solid traction and backed myself into a ditch. Dropped into 2 feet of snow. No worries, busted out the collapsable shovel and cleared out snow. Fortunately down at the bottom of this ditch it was dry sand. Took about 5 minutes to clear the snow and out I popped on the first try. No tire spin, just the Land Rover doin it's thing.

This is the + of getting stuck - later my wife asked what we would we have done if we couldn't get out. I told her I hadn't thought about it, but I said a winch would be the best self rescue tool in case it did happen again. She said not this year, but next year you can get one! In guy speak that means after the summer of 2010.

Found a nice rutted, rocky, snow covered trail after that adventure. The LR4 had no problems. Did a combination snow/rock crawl up the hill.

Good times.

aesopian

Reaction score
aesopian, do you have the HD Package with the rear locker?

No I only have the standard center locking differential. I spoke at length with the dealership on the differences and he recommended saving the cost and not getting the HD package.

His opinion was that I'd have more than enough with the center locking differential. So far he's been correct. The future will tell...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112