Anyone end up buying their Grenadier order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another deciding factor for me was the stupid BMW shift knob, handle, whatever you call it. The fact that they would launch their vehicle with such an obvious cop out on this part instead of designing something unique makes me wonder what else in that thing is rebadged and upcharged crap.

It sticks out like a sore thumb. I can't imagine that knob has so much proprietary BMW stuff in it that Ineos couldn't have designed their own.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To think we could have had this instead of the Disco5. :0

More likely that the new Defender would have been the Disco 5, and the Grenadier would have been the new Defender.

But bottom line is I can't see a world where the Disco 5 continues as a profitable model. Who's the buyer for that now? Between a Range Rover Sport and the Defender, there can't be many people left who'd choose the Disco 5. I think dealers are having to get serious with price reductions to move them.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sticks out like a sore thumb. I can't imagine that knob has so much proprietary BMW stuff in it that Ineos couldn't have designed their own.
I'll be the contrarian and say that I like what they did there. It obviously is supposed to look like a fighter jet stick in front of those military style switch gear and for that look it works. The BMW guy in me totally sees the fish out of water as well but to the target buyer and for the look I think its fine.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But bottom line is I can't see a world where the Disco 5 continues as a profitable model. Who's the buyer for that now? Between a Range Rover Sport and the Defender, there can't be many people left who'd choose the Disco 5. I think dealers are having to get serious with price reductions to move them.
Actually, they sell everyone they make.
Truly, one of JLRs most reliable vehicles.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, they sell everyone they make.
Truly, one of JLRs most reliable vehicles.

Really? That's wild. I rarely see them anymore, and I see FFRRs, RRS, and Defenders all the time.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sold 6398 Discovery 5s in 2017 in the US market.

In 2022: 1488
In 2023: 2416

It's a market juggernaut lol. The tribe has spoken, the 5 was a dud.

The LR4 in it's last year of production 2016: Sold 10 772 units in the US. Well Done Land Rover.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the D5 wasn't shaped like like an egg it wouldn't be such a bad rig. I spent a lot of time in my friend's D5 traveling between the major Texas cities and it is a great highway rig, better than the 4 luxury wise.
I'm in a rental Jeep GC-L and it too is better on the highway but it feels like a boat compared to the LR4 in any other situations. The kids love the limo style second row though for sure.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seating position in the D5 is low too. It's just a damn awkward design. Should have kept the LR4 shape and improve the bits that needed improving but LR got greedy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72