After Market Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

theroux

Has anyone had any luck having a faceplate made to accomodate the installation of an aftermarket radio/navigation system in the dash?

I purchased a LR3 as a demo without Nav but had planned to add it aftermarket, however, I've had a hard time finding a dash kit.

Thanks.

jager24

Reaction score
You have to have one custom made. There are no "kits" made for the LR3 at this time.

I just had the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed and the shop had to make an ABS/ fiberglass frame for the unit. It's hard to match the color of the AC controls below and the door unlock controls on top of the stereo. You might want to have them paint all three areas to match. A little bit darker looks great.

The custom work should run you about $500.

T

theroux

That's exactly the unit that I want to install. Could you possibly pass along the info on the shop that produced it for you? I only found one shop near me (Philadelphia) and I got a reange of $500 to $1500! I'd like to find someone who has already produced the panel rather than reinventing the wheel. Thanks.

T

theroux

Photos

Jager24: I would also REALLY appreciate any photos of your install, if you have them.

Thanks again.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post them in the gallery.

jager24

Reaction score
I'll get you pictures in a couple of days. I'm actually traveling this week.

Believe it or not, Ultimate Electronics in Gilbert(Phoenix area) did the install of the head unit. This was only after I saw some of the other work he had done.

A couple of things you might want to know:

If you do not add an external amp, you will have to wire the speaker wires all the way to the amp under the seat and bypass it. The Pioneer will power the front and rear speakers but not the Subwoofer. You will have to get an amp for it. Once you do, you will realize just how bad the stock sub is and will want to replace it.

You are going to lose your steering wheel control not only for the stereo but for the adjustments to the message center. Make sure you have set all of your options before you change the stereo out.

If you have the 5 seater the space under where the back seats would go is a great place for you to mount amps.

Here is a list of the equipment I installed. I chose to bypass the whole system, you don't have to.

Pioneer AVIC-D1 - with XM and Ipod control.
Mcintosh MCC404 amp - 4x100
Alpine MRD-M605 sub amp
Blaupunkt ODw1000HP subwoofer (fits in the stock location without building it out) just make sure you line the inside and the outside of the tailgate with Dynamat.
MBQuart Reference RCE 216 for the front and rear.

I'll try to get some pictures in a couple of days. Although the head unit is the only thing that you can see changed.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

alex716

Reaction score
I'll get you pictures in a couple of days. I'm actually traveling this week.

Believe it or not, Ultimate Electronics in Gilbert(Phoenix area) did the install of the head unit. This was only after I saw some of the other work he had done.

A couple of things you might want to know:

If you do not add an external amp, you will have to wire the speaker wires all the way to the amp under the seat and bypass it. The Pioneer will power the front and rear speakers but not the Subwoofer. You will have to get an amp for it. Once you do, you will realize just how bad the stock sub is and will want to replace it.

You are going to lose your steering wheel control not only for the stereo but for the adjustments to the message center. Make sure you have set all of your options before you change the stereo out.

If you have the 5 seater the space under where the back seats would go is a great place for you to mount amps.

Here is a list of the equipment I installed. I chose to bypass the whole system, you don't have to.

Pioneer AVIC-D1 - with XM and Ipod control.
Mcintosh MCC404 amp - 4x100
Alpine MRD-M605 sub amp
Blaupunkt ODw1000HP subwoofer (fits in the stock location without building it out) just make sure you line the inside and the outside of the tailgate with Dynamat.
MBQuart Reference RCE 216 for the front and rear.

I'll try to get some pictures in a couple of days. Although the head unit is the only thing that you can see changed.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
yo...dear...I would like to know how u solve the head-unit and trip-computer prob. Cuz audio install techs told me that if the factory head-unit removed, then the trip computer will lost function at all. can u brifetly describe how did u make the head-unit replaced by Pioneer and how u connect it with the computer...Very thanx for answering that.......

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didn't. There is no solution to the message center. jager24 even mentions this in the text you just quoted. Without the stock head unit, it's history. So as he said, set the custom settings to what you like... and live with it, since it can no longer be changed.

Last edited:

jager24

Reaction score
He didn't. There is no solution to the message center. jager24 even mentions this in the text you just quoted. Without the stock head unit, it's history. So as he said, set the custom settings to what you like... and live with it, since it can no longer be changed.

Just make sure that you have them leave the factory harness plugs intact. They can tuck them next to the AC duct. If you need to change the settings you can take off the surround trim and plug in the stock radio, make the changes and unplug it.

You still can control the trip computer to reset mileage etc.. you just cant change the settings for M/KM or the other settings without doing what I described above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635