2015 the new discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're basically thirty-something and "old"? Now I'm depressed, never mind the car...
Haha, sorry... I was only kidding around about my age; however, I am very set in my ways. Come on Umberto, I bet you are barely touching 40! :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! And I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I can make my LR4 last until I die since I won't want to buy a Starship Disco. :proud:
:) The comments about the Disco concept are beyond funny on the web. The overwhelming majority of people absolutely hate it. Well, except for women with 2 kids who drink Starbucks and their husbands work at Google or Facebook.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a concept after all, so the final product may or may not look that way. Let's not forget the Discovery family will include several vehicles (including a baby Disco) that will likely borrow some, but not all, design cues from this concept car. I look at the positives: the short overhang in the rear and, especially, the front should result in improved approach and departure angles, the windows are still big and plentiful rather than slits like the new Evoque and Sport, there still appears to be a 2-piece tailgate, stadium seating still there, etc. I am not at all ready to give up on the brand based on a concept, what I don't like about it is that design is so derivative and kinda anonymous.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a concept after all, so the final product may or may not look that way. Let's not forget the Discovery family will include several vehicles (including a baby Disco) that will likely borrow some, but not all, design cues from this concept car. I look at the positives: the short overhang in the rear and, especially, the front should result in improved approach and departure angles, the windows are still big and plentiful rather than slits like the new Evoque and Sport, there still appears to be a 2-piece tailgate, stadium seating still there, etc. I am not at all ready to give up on the brand based on a concept, what I don't like about it is that design is so derivative and kinda anonymous.
I think Umberto has a great point. While I don't like the concept, I have to realize that change is good and there could be some great improvements. I will keep an open mind and not jump to a G yet.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife reminds me that for nearly every vehicle I have had a year or two before I was declaring it ugly. ;-) For me I will need to see it in person. The outside is not that important to me. But the spaciousness, utility and flexibility of the interior will be very important.

As Umberto reminds us this is a concept vehicle. Some of the capabilities are intriguing. I would want to give them 3-4 years to roll out then fix those features before making a move. So that is a few years out and during that time a lot could change.

There are a number of interesting innovations.

Here is the Car and Driver review.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/land-rover-discovery-vision-concept-photos-and-info-news

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Well said Umberto.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So I just took the time to carefully read this article. (Thanks, Umberto!) I must confess that it is a very impressive and very innovative kit.

A couple observations/questions.
- This is the "Leisure" lineup as opposed to the "Luxury" lineup. The "Dual Purpose" line is yet to come.
- I like the way the rear doors open though I would need to get used to it but it would make it much easier to load stuff or to get in and out.
- After reading the versatility in the seating I really like all those options and all that flexibility.
- I am a fan of the split tailgate - which is not on this concept vehicle - but the evolution including a "tailgate" and a "bench seat", etc. would probably make up for it.
- I like the idea of Smart Glass although for me it would be enough to be able to adjust the shading
- I like the transparent hood technology
- And I do like the remote driving capability the more I think about it.
- Lasers and improved Terrain Response look intriguing.
- Headlights are impressive

One question is the 23" wheels. So does that mean that the space in the wheel well is much larger and therefore we could go with 18" wheels and huge tires?

Which brings me to the question of off road capabilities. Rather than describing advanced features they simply point out the trip done by the LR4 - which at least through Colorado and Utah was more than 99.99% of owners of the "Leisure" lineup will ever do. But, still, I would have been interested in what additional off road capabilities they might offer. Like maybe enhancements to the suspension.

And, as someone else pointed out, I'm still not sure how the whole thing would look with racks and brush bars and winches and ... But maybe they expect that sort of thing to be done with the "Dual Purpose" lineup?

In any case, I expect it will take a few years for this stuff to roll into and trickily through the actual yearly models. And a few years to get the kinks out. So if I can keep my LR4 in good shape for 10 years (and if I don't die first because I lacked remote control and drove off a cliff) maybe I'll warm up to the spaceship-like shape.

Though I have now dubbed this Starship Discovery.

Dan

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22lasers22.gif

You can fit 24" rims under the current model Sport or Range Rover if you try hard enough (and find rubber band tires to match), so I don't know how telling it is that the concepts sports 23" alloys. Concepts always wear humongous rims for effect.

The tech does sound pretty amazing, and if 50% of it makes it on the final model (and it works...), that would catapult Land Rover from also-ran to the forefront of automotive technology. I mean, a remote controlled car? Unreal. Could I just send the car to pick up my kids from school and stay home? :smile:

I like the idea of the rear suicide doors as I imagine it would make access to the rear seats easier. But, just like the big rims, those doors usually appear on concept cars and disappear from production vehicles. Don't know why. We'll see!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635