2012 LUX or 2012 HSE HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elinders

Reaction score
I know this is an easy answer if my main focus for the LR4 was to go offroad. I will enjoy it's abilities but in the end will not require the HD package.
It will be a family vehicle with my wife being the main driver and I will get to explore with it on weekends.

2 certified LR4s:
For arguments sake they have roughly the same miles and the same price.
2012 LUX non HD
2012 HSE HD

First off, is that about right that they would be close to the same price, the HD is actually about $1,000 more asking. Not sure I agree with that and might make my decision easier (forgetting about getting to negotiating for this exercise).

I'm just looking for opinions (these are very subjective questions):
- if and when I ever sell it, any thoughts on what would hold it's value better.

- I have been looking strictly for the LUX package because I like what it adds, but am I (I mean my wife) really going to miss the softer seats and xenons and memory seating and the cooler box etc? It's not like the HSE seats are made of cardboard. We have test drove both models.

Thanks in advance.

elrocko

Reaction score
go with the LUX

Of course you don't need the lux features but you will use them much more frequently than the HD. The seats are awesome. The xenons make a big difference at night. My wife and I use the memory seating eery time we swap cars (which is frequently). Mine has Lux and HD and yes, I have been off-road a few times and yes my rear locker has engaged maybe twice. But, I'm sure I would not have been stuck without it - just been required to rock it a few times maybe. Go Lux!

Elinders

Reaction score
That's an excellent point about not really needing one feature or another but that I will actually use them more than the HD. I had a similar discussion a while back in regards to 2013s but did not have a specific example of 2 different cars so I wanted to ask it again.
And in my searches I have basically been skipping over the ones with the HSE model year specific wheels, but this one jumped out at me and I became curious again.

One thing I found funny with the HD model is that they put factory running boards on a 2012, which doesn't really make sense to me since it's not the newer model (2015-16?) that "require" them and might just get in your way if you are crawling over rocks.
Thanks for the input.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The running boards were a dealer installed accessory up to MY2014s, and probably contribute to that $1000 higher price of the HD version. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer put them on after receiving the trade-in to make the LR4 look more up-to-date, since they all have them now, and to pad its profits on a used vehicle a bit. A HD package is not something most shoppers would pay lots of extra bucks for (which is why I think a Lux would make more sense if you are looking at resale value down the road), but a set of nice running boards for the wife... Probably worth a grand to some.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the LUX. If anything just for the driver's seat functions: memory, inflatable bolsters, leather quality.
I drive all over the country and did lots of off-roading without the HD package but it was in a 2010 so it had the low gear ratios...
I think you'll be fine with the LUX.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LUX LUX LUX!

I too made this decision as I looked night and day for a LUX HD and couldn't find one in my color.

Lux and never looked back. Honestly I can't tell a difference off road from my LR3 with HD package. :cool:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As everyone else said, get the LUX. We ordered a new 2013 with both HD and LUX. But when it came time to replace our LR3 I had the same dilemma. I went with a LUX, no HD. We take both on a nearby drive-on beach and I can't tell any difference in capability.

Also, buying a 2012 with the V8 is a good choice. I considered getting a new 2015 to replace the LR3 but didn't like the SCV6, rotary shift knob, running boards & eco-stop.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The memory seat alone will save your marriage. LUX!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your case LUX is the answer.
In 2013 my family had to replace 2011 LR4 HSE which was totaled in an accident. Our 2011 was just HSE but had a vision assist (cameras and HID swivelling headlights). No HD package on my 2011.
For the replacement we had 2 conditions.
1. HID headlights ( best headlight I ever experienced ) and 2. HD package ( I do take LR4 off road and HD package was essential to me).
Guess what it was impossible to find 2013 HSE with vision assist and HD package. We ended up buying 2013 LUX with HD package and extended leather. No vision assist on this vehicle but LUX came with HID light as a standard feature anyway.
I love memory seat 3 options, beautiful leather. As for vision assist. I do not miss cameras at all but I do miss rear view camera which is different if you have vision assist. Swivelling lights were nice too.
So, LUX features you will use every day especially if you share the car with a family member. HID light are best.
Since 2012 comes with V8 and transfer case anyway you will not miss rear locker if you do not off road in a very difficult terrain. I do take advantage of rear locker and all my skid plates so it was a must for me. Have fun with your. LR4.
I just do not get why to buy a newer lr4 without transfer case. There are much better SUVa to explore mall parking lots. ( but it does not apply to you).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635