2004 reliability and head gasket question:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm negotiating an 04 Disco that's been build up, nicely built up too: ebay completed, not sold, item 150407460352. I am now negotiating with seller.

1- Did the 2004 have the oil pump problems of the 2003?
2- Seller states head gasket is "weeping". Dealership told him not to fix it. Question: does weeping exist? or is it a sign of impending head gasket failure?. Will I make it to Tierra del Fuego or blow a gasket enroute?

I have a 97 Disco now, I love it, but It's not ready for the Pan American Highway. I need a better Disco !

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't all talk at once! I found the answer elsewhere and I'm not gonna tell ya!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04's don't have 03 engine/oil pump issues.
As for the head gasket leakage, if it is leaking, it has to be fixed before you buy it or you will be stuck with one very large bill.
What sort of changes have been made on this truck, how much are they asking for it?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I heard.... head gaskets don't "weep" a little but they are OK. :) The truck is incredibly built up and he wants $20K : 2004 Land Rover Discovery with 58,840 miles. Including: Rovertym 3'' lift with Bilstein 7100 series air shocks and RTE springs(sits 4.5'' over stock). Rovertym stainless tie rod, and stainless adjustable panhard rod. Rovertym watts linkage. Five new 33' BF Goodrich M/T tires with only 5,000 miles. Rovertym tire rack for oversized tire. Great Basin Rovers front and rear 3rd members with 4:10 gearing.Great Basin Rovers front and rear heavy duty, servicable, drive shafts. ARB lockers with onboard co mpressor. Rover Rack luggage rack equipped with with Hella 4000 lighting with stock L.R. light switch. Rovertym rock sliders. Safari Gard front and rear bumpers complete with front and rear stainless steel skid plates and recovery shackles . Warn 10,000 Lb. winch equipped with synthetic rope and safety thimble (includes steel cable too) and complete recovery kit. Safari snorkel. Advanced Air Systems 15 Lb. Power tank kit. New mesh headliner. New Land Rover OEM steering pump(installed by dealer and under 12 month warranty). New belts. Rubber Land Rover floor mats (both front and rear). Rear Cargo liner with Land Rover ''carry-out'' tray. List goes on and on. Over $40,000 invested. Perfect for trails and NEVER been wheeled!

You can see it here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0407460352&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEDWX:IT

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First question why is it being sold at half the money invested into it?
Head gasket even a weep can be a failure on your trip then what will you do?

I would look for a 5 speed vs a automatic, go back to basics with less to go wrong.
Joey already has the motor department covered. I would have every ball joint and tie rod
installed that have grease fittings as well rebuild the steering box before this trip.
All new hoses plus spares with a custom extra thich radiator built for your vehicle.
Spare alternator, starter, water pump, belt, idler pulley bearing, recovery tank, wheel bearings with seals and gaskets plus spare fuel filters for any dirty fuel you might pump
into the tank. Spare head lamps and U joints plus many tools.

Last edited:

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly right about the 'money invested' doesn't match the 'asking price'... A head gastket really isn't something I can fix on the trail. Travelling light is essential. Most expeditions are overloaded which puts a terrible strain on a vehicle.

Thanks everyone for the insight and preparation lists. I will be following them closely. db

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you need to consider is that that truck has most likely been run hard and as such has a lot of extra wear on all the components.
What will you be using it for, is it over built and are you ready to pay for a head gasket job before wheeling with it?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to drive from Raleigh NC to Tierra del Fuego the southern tip of South America and return. Pan American Highway - tourist stuff and lots of people do it. My wallet is bigger than my tool box. I've decided against the Rover mentioned above because 'rover + tent' won't fit inside a shipping container for crossing the Darien Gap... too tall. I'm still shopping. I found a Diesel Disco in Chile so there's the option of flying down there and doing the trip in reverse.

Mike is absolutely correct. I want to start with the best possible vehicle rather than one that's been run hard.

Yes, a new vehcle would be best, but to enter those countries with a new vehicle they require a bond be posted so I don't 'import' it, or sell it. The bond is usually 200-300% the value of the vehicle. If vehicle is totaled in a wreck it still has to be removed from the country.

Last edited:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to drive from Raleigh NC to Tierra del Fuego the southern tip of South America and return. Pan American Highway - tourist stuff and lots of people do it. My wallet is bigger than my tool box. I've decided against the Rover mentioned above because 'rover + tent' won't fit inside a shipping container for crossing the Darien Gap... too tall. I'm still shopping. I found a Diesel Disco in Chile so there's the option of flying down there and doing the trip in reverse.

Mike is absolutely correct. I want to start with the best possible vehicle rather than one that's been run hard.

Yes, a new vehcle would be best, but to enter those countries with a new vehicle they require a bond be posted so I don't 'import' it, or sell it. The bond is usually 200-300% the value of the vehicle. If vehicle is totaled in a wreck it still has to be removed from the country.

A diesel how cool is that, i'd be on the plane within hours. Any problem bringing this diesel into the USA when your done with your adventure? I can go if the War Department lets me, I can wrench about anything that moves. You lucky dog. Enjoy but you must post pictures when you return if you ever return or end up staying.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the diesel won't pass emmissions tests. Yes the vehicle could be driven into the USA but it would never be registered. They would catch on immediately. I'll be posting pictures during the trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo