2004 Disco won't start! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven

Reaction score
Hello!

For about the past week, every now and then my car has been having issues starting. The electrics (dash lights, interior lights, radio) will come on when I turn the key to position I in the ignition switch, though they may intermittently come on and off, though other times they will stay on. When I turn the key to actually start the car though... nothing. No clicks, no engine turning over, nothing. At this point the radio won't work, but they dash lights sometimes stay on. When I turn the key back to position I or II, the radio will come back on... so as far as I can tell there is something odd going on with the electrics. At these times the horn also won't work and ting to lock and unlock the door with the key fob only works every now and then, other times it struggles.

The problem usually corrects itself and once the car is on there is no problem at all! Everything works perfectly again at that point.

I tried cleaning the corrosion off my battery terminals (it was pretty bad on the positive) and looking for loose connections, but I couldn't see anything.

Any ideas of what to do to fix it, or just work arounds until I get the right part? Anyone else have a similar problem? Oh, and my disco has 88,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have your battery tested, it sounds like it may have gone bad.

Steven

Reaction score
Thanks Joey! I just got my battery out (the corrosion made it quite the ordeal) and I'll look into that this afternoon!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your battery has that much build up on it, it is most likely bad or failing. Get it down to your local parts store have them do a free test and let us know what you find. If you need a replacement try to stay at or near an 800 CCA rating.

Steven

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies!

I had it tested at a local autozone and they said it was fine, leaving me quite confused. I went ahead and cleaned the battery terminals and posts again (though I had done so a few times and they seemed clean to me) and it started right up! So maybe that's an end to the issue?

Thanks again! Hopefully that's all!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it acts up some more, better start looking at the ignition switch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo