2004 Disco, hissing, grinding, whirring questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Sheran

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2004 Discovery with about 14k miles on it. I am still unsure if it's an SE or HSE, but it has some decent options in it like twin moonroofs, rear park assist sensors and xenon headlamps. It does not have SLS, though.

I am a comlete newbie to LR and to 4WD in general and I have a few questions and I hope someone can help me answer them:

1. When the engine is idling, every 20-30 seconds, there is this very soft, yet noticable, hissing noise. It sort of sounds like when an air brake bleeds itself of excess air. What is this sound?

2. Sometimes, if I hit a bump a bit hard, I get a very bad metal grinding sound coming somewhere near the rear wheels. Any ideas about this one? Everything looks fairly ok (no dangling metal bits, loose rods, etc). I'm hoping a good underbody lube job will fix this, but meanwhile I'm hoping it's not very serious.

3. In the first two seconds after I start the Disco, there is a sort of whirring, vibrating noise that emanates from somewhere in the steering column area. As it's there everytime, I'm thinking this is a normal sound?

4. My passenger electric seat is not working. I have swapped out the seat switches with the working driver seat and checked the fuses under the seat - no luck. I am suspecting it is probably no power going into the seat at all. I came to this conclusion because the previous owner had installed an after market DVD changer under the seat and I'm assuming his mechanic had "borrowed" the power coming from the seat. Is there an easier way to check the electric seat power feed without actually removing the whole seat?

Those are my preliminary questions. I am very sorry if I sound like a complete tool, but as I stated before, I am new to LR and to the world of 4WD. Thank you all for your patience.

Bye,
Sheran

B

B2zD2

your Disco is still under factory warranty.... take it in and have it checked out

S

Sheran

I've already scheduled an appointment with the workshop. I should get the answers I need when I take it in. Thanks.

D

discogal

Did you get any answers to q. #3 - noise in steering column. I have the same issue?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink