2000 RR 4.6 overheating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kendrie

Reaction score
Hello all;
I'm a newbie to the forumn, but I've had a few Rovers over the years. I currently have an intermittant overheat problem on a 2000 4.6. The first time it happened, I took it to the shop right away. They replaced the T-stat and heater hoses and sent m on my way. Since then, it will periodically overheat, all at once the temp gage buries itself in the red, and I get a fault code on the AC display (the triangle with the exclamation point). After a short engine off cool down, fault code goes away and it might not overheat again for two weeks. It will overheat with the AC on or off. I've noticed though that the car smells like coolant after you get out of it, and occassionally you get a whiff of it in the cabin even if it doesn't boil over. I was going to have my mechanic flow test it, but he's already talking about head gasket. I'm not convinced. Any ideas?
Thanks

N

nedkelly

Hello all;
I'm a newbie to the forumn, but I've had a few Rovers over the years. I currently have an intermittant overheat problem on a 2000 4.6. The first time it happened, I took it to the shop right away. They replaced the T-stat and heater hoses and sent m on my way. Since then, it will periodically overheat, all at once the temp gage buries itself in the red, and I get a fault code on the AC display (the triangle with the exclamation point). After a short engine off cool down, fault code goes away and it might not overheat again for two weeks. It will overheat with the AC on or off. I've noticed though that the car smells like coolant after you get out of it, and occassionally you get a whiff of it in the cabin even if it doesn't boil over. I was going to have my mechanic flow test it, but he's already talking about head gasket. I'm not convinced. Any ideas?
Thanks

I have just had over 6 weeks of problem searching and replacing everything but the head gasket .. in the hope it wasnt. Well it was - and during the 'repairing ' phase i had all 14 engine block inserts done. Expensive .... sounds like you may be in for the same... i hope it isnt... goodluck

okrim

Reaction score
I have a 97RR 4.6HSE with a overheating problem. It starts boiling out of the holding tank, I replaced the thermostat but didn't change anything. Anyone with some advice and what to check. Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
a 97, could be water pump, radiator or head gasket...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can have the antifreeze chemically tested and it will tell you if you have exhaust carbons in the fluid. Cheap easy way to do this.

okrim

Reaction score
thanks, could it be the pressure cap on the holding tank?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a possibility as well and would be a cheap test. But most good repair shops (non-land rover) will do a chemical test real cheap or free.

jack

Reaction score
I have pretty close to the same problem. I do not think its your head gasket or heads . I had my heads shaved and replaced replaced the gaskets termo stat and rad hoses also heater core hoses and the problem is still there . I think it maybe a possible clogged heater core . Did check the carpet on the pass side to see if it is wet or if any antifreeze is present?

mitchelltom

Reaction score
I had the same problem this summer. Would drive for 10 or15 minutes and the temp gauge would bury itself. Shut down, cool down then get it home. Did a thermostat, didn,t work. Backflushed the radiator and the heater lines, took off water pump, that was okay, that didn't work. Put on a new clutch fan, which sounded better than my old one and a new coolant cap, same thing. Long story short, took off return hose from radiator to coolant at the radiator , blew air into hose from radiator side to tank and it was clogged, letting pressure build and heat build up with no where to go. Inside the tank return line it funnels down to a small oriface, clean it out. Try it. Might be simple as that. Let me know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM