1996 Rover SE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoRick

Reaction score
Howdy, I have long wanted a LandRover so I am new here doing research. I am considering buying a 1996 RangeRover SE, it looks to be in great shape and the owner happens to own a LR / Hummer shop so all the work has been done there. It looks like he has pretty much rebuilt the whole thing, the following are all new 4.6 eng., tranny, Alt., starter, complete EAS and air suspension, no rust and interior is in good shape, no tears, cracks etc, with a new headliner. It looks to be clean. price $7k.
I know from reading that the price is high, but I am seeing prices all over the board. So that isn't so much the issue. What is, is that I am panicking after reading all these technical posts. Are these things really so buggy? This will be a daily driver, some Off-road for hunting and fishing etc. but mostly daily 30 Mile round trip commuting. Please help calm my pre-buying jitters.
--
Rick

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum.

Second. and I say this with a grain of salt because I love my Rover and will always own one.

Think about what your asking and how much has already been done to the Rover your looking at. Yes they can require some maintenance, but really not much more than any other high end vehicle. Your buying a 50k vehicle for 7k that has been completely rebuilt by the sound of it. So it looks as if all the major issues are taken care of.

I also Love the 87 Lotus Esprit, but I am not going there yet because I know that if I drive it or not I could spend thousands of dollars keeping the car happy every year or it could go for years with little to no money being spent.

But if I found one with low mileage for a good price that had all the work done to it in the manor that you mention has been done on the RR, I would be buying my new to me car.

It is only life and it is only money. We never know what tomorrow will bring, so by all means enjoy today.

ColoradoRick

Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum.

Second. and I say this with a grain of salt because I love my Rover and will always own one.

Think about what your asking and how much has already been done to the Rover your looking at. Yes they can require some maintenance, but really not much more than any other high end vehicle. Your buying a 50k vehicle for 7k that has been completely rebuilt by the sound of it. So it looks as if all the major issues are taken care of.

I also Love the 87 Lotus Esprit, but I am not going there yet because I know that if I drive it or not I could spend thousands of dollars keeping the car happy every year or it could go for years with little to no money being spent.

But if I found one with low mileage for a good price that had all the work done to it in the manor that you mention has been done on the RR, I would be buying my new to me car.

It is only life and it is only money. We never know what tomorrow will bring, so by all means enjoy today.
Joey, First thanks for your reply and input. I get it. Just having second thoughts because I have wanted one so long I am not sure I am being subjective.
Bottom line, I have booked a flight to go drive, and likely buy this thing if everything is as I envision.

My trepidations are all coming from the just bizarre issues folks seem to have, odd chain reactions of somewhat catastrophic proportions from what seems a most simplistic issue.

Makes me wonder if it is like an old MG or R7 with all the grounding issues or worse, ground loop hell we used to see. A black art to figure out to be sure.
This vehicle won't be that way. :))

again, thanks for your input.
--
Rick

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM