Terrrain Response - Amazing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fbaer

We had our first big snow here in Minneapolis today, and driving home I was totally amazed at the effectiveness of the Snow/Grass/Gravel setting of the terrain response. This is my first SUV, much less my first LR, and the settings made a huge difference. The change in throttle mapping as well as the transmission starting in 2nd gear made driving the the slop simple

I can't wait to get out and drive some more! WooHoo!

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree totally...amazing what a difference some ECU mapping makes. I'm willing to bet lots of other manufacture's will follow this lead...very cost effective way to improve vehicle response.

L

LR3_WA

Any issues with having the SNOW mode on and stopping ? I could NOT stop the whole way down a hill have only a 1/2" of slushy snow. The ABS just kept letting the wheels rotate and I was standing on the brake. The only good thing was the truck kept straight down the entire hill.

N

Nomad232

Remember that TR can't create traction it can only manage it. I would recomend getting a set of good snow tires. I don't believe that TR changes any of the brake "mapping".

Nomad

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using the Hill Descent in Snow/Grass/ Gravel mode- I've found it works great on snowy downhills where there is a risk of being unable to stop. It must use the transmission gearing together with the antilock brakes to slow the truck from the way it behaves for me..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

daytomann

When you are going downhill in snow..it is hard to stop. Thats "day one" stuff guys! LOL

U

UnbrknCh8n

daytomann said:
When you are going downhill in snow..it is hard to stop. Thats "day one" stuff guys! LOL

But I have an LR3!! It has this handy knob with all these cool settings, and I should be able to magically stop on ice, leap buildings in a single bound, etc. (at least that's what the LR salesman told me).

X

xcursion

Good one. If any car can, it's our LR3s. But also remember the laws of physics......

T

toddjb123

Yeah - I noticed this annoyance the first time I had a truck with antilocks. You go straight, but that system just won't let them lock up...which is a good thing I guess.

RELATED QUESTION - How would you set the LR3 for snowy highway driving? Snow mode? Normal Auto? DSC on or off? I know, its best to stay off the roads in this situations, but I often find myself on the way to or home from a ski resort when its *dumping* on the highway. You have to drive at speed most of the time and you find yourself having to accelerate to pass the occasional truck (and avoid the blinding spray). So, what setting is best for driving at highway speeds in poor conditions? Should you leave DSC on? (I would think so, but figured I'd ask).

Thanks!

X

xcursion

On a snowy highway and at speed, I would use the snow mode and leave the DSC on. DSC, along with TR, controls your wheels from slipping and keep you car straight, but you know that already.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4