Exploring Discovery I

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPoint

Reaction score
New to the world of Land Rover but have survived a couple Jaguars and have restored now three old Volvo's.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460

Happened upon a '96 Discovery I that has sat little used for a number of years. It is a one owner, professionally maintained vehicle but due to a death it has seen only about 6k miles in the past 10 years. Little in the first 5 of the 10 and about 5k in the last 5 years.

Needs lots of tender loving care. Owner has spent nearly $1800 trying to get it functional enough to sell, $900 of that in tires. Still needs a list of known issues resolved plus all the really should be done things on a 20 year old car. I am going to spend some time researching common issues on the forum but if anyone has a check list of common problems please let me know.

Now off to the forum . . . .

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Former Volvo owner myself. 96 850 GLT bought for my son's first car and a 2002 S60.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... as with most vehicles, plugs/wires clean the throttle body. Make sure it has a good battery.

TestPoint

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

The owner appears to have attempted to keep this vehicle in derivable condition through the support of a professional independent repair shop. The truck has 3 year, old 5k miles, top of the line Michelin tires , 3 month old battery, replaced with OEM parts the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder, steering damper and spark plugs. Power steering hoses and oil pan gaskets have been replaced to resolve leaks. Manual transmission that has had the transmission, transfer case and rear differential oil changed.

Known remaining issues are the front shocks which are described as failed and brake pads and rotors. The right front brake rotor shows that the brake pad has worn to the point of encountering metal-to-metal contact indicating that the caliper has seized.

There is no documentation on coolant service but the documentation would indicate that nothing had been done in 10 years, 10k miles. At this point on a 20 year old truck I would replace all the coolant hoses, the water pump and thermostat with a good flush of the entire system.

Estimate of above recommended services at the indy is over $1700.

Comments on other potential issues to be considered would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I replied to your other thread on this matter.... I will say this any more than $1000 for a none drivable rover of this year it too much money. But on the other side.... some people love the manual rovers and they stopped making them at least for the USA in 1997.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72