Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pohrem

Reaction score
My 1999 Range 4.6 HSE starts great when it's cold (like first thing in the morning), but after it's warm, once the starter turns it over, it sounds like it's about to die out (stall), but just barely maintains its normal idle. Feels like it's struggling for something, but then gets what it needs and goes to a normal idle.

Also, it's flaky, as there are varying degrees of how well it starts, when the engine is warm, but always starts normally when cold.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on mileage and maintenance history which I don't see in this post, I would guess and say fuel pump is showing age.

Pohrem

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Mileage is 145K and maintenance history is good. I've had it since 77K mileage and it's the same fuel pump. Just replaced the starter motor, as it was struggling, and it's fine.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, but also depending on last tune up, it could be simply bad plugs.

Pohrem

Reaction score
The fuel pressure checked out and I just had it tuned-up (plugs, wires, air filter, etc.), but I'm still experiencing the same issue. This only happens when the engine is hot - when cold, it sounds fine and never drops the idle when starting.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What was the pressure levels for fuel? How many PSI?

Pohrem

Reaction score
What was the pressure levels for fuel? How many PSI?

I'm not sure, as he didn't tell me. What should it be? Also, not to sound ignorant, but are there different levels with the engine off, while starting and while operating?

Also, I'm not sure, but what I experience this, I believe I detect a faint gas smell - like maybe when a car with a carb is flooded. Could this point to the "drippy" fuel injector previously mentioned?

Thanks, again.

Pohrem

Reaction score

So, I tried the following:

- When the engine is warm and I experience the problem, I turned the ignition key to the "On" position, but stopped short of starting it. I left it there for a few seconds, then turned it over and it started fine. And does it (using this technique) every time, just like a normal start-up. My tech says this points to the fuel pump, even though he tested it and the pressure was within specs. Says he's seen fuel pumps that were bad (on other vehicles) which were within specs, but were still faulty.

What do you think?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99