A.B.S. Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puppy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here, and I have tried search for this problem, have received some good information, but, not quite sure still. Working on a 1997 Range Rover, with the 4.6 HSE. This vehicle sat for a while, and now when it is started, the T.C., Brake, and A.B.S. light come on and stay on. I do not hear the A.B.S. pump run at all. I understand I may have a bad pressure accumulator, but, my questions is this; should the A.B.S. pump at least run for a little bit upon startup to try and energize the system? I have checked all the fuses, and they are all good, the relay is good, but, no A.B.S. motor run. Thanks for the input.

puppy

Reaction score
UPDATE: I have checked all the fuses and relays again, by pulling them, and using an ohmeter on the relays. Now, when the RR is started the T/C light is out, the brake light goes out, but, a few seconds later pops back on with an error message of "low brake fluid". I checked, and the fluid is not low. But, still no rear braking, and a solid A.B.S. light on the dash. I hope someone can help with this. Also, with the key on, there is poower going to the ABS pump, but, not pumping. Is there another sensor somewhere that tells the pump to "turn on"?

puppy

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED: Turns out it was the A.B.S. pump. After researching online, and checking some other threads, I was able to isolate it to the pump. Replaced the pump, and now all is well with the braking system. On a side note, I find it interesting that this thread got 74 views, and no replies.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just got a chance to even see this post... or I would have replied sooner, been busy with way too many other projects. Glad to hear that you got it sorted out though.

puppy

Reaction score
Yes, luckily I was able to continue searching through threads, and found a few possible problems to check out. Once I narrowed it down to checking the ABS pump, the repair was pretty easy.

puppy

Reaction score
Found it at the local wrecking yard. Campbell Nelson, in Arlington, WA. It was the last one. But, they do have the truck there still, for other misc. parts.

puppy

Reaction score
I replaced the ABS pump, and the factory mirror, at the same time, they both were a package deal of $400. For the pump itself, they were asking $350, and that included the pressure accumulator. I still have the old pump, am going to try and figure out how to take it apart, and see if I can clean the brushes, and wiring in it, to make it useable as a backup pump.

Scotty

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I'm in Calif. from what I understand there is a company out in LA who will rebuild the pump for 100.00 bucks when I find the name to the company I'll post back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM