06 LR3 V8 rough idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an 06 LR3 HSE V8 and have been recently having idling issues. When we start the truck its idle drops down to close to 100-200 almost dieing the engine out. I can hit the gas to get it to rev up, but once i let off it drops again. Any ideas of what is going on, there are 0 lights on the dash. Though maybe it was a tank of bad gas, but i have gone through at least 3 tanks with this happening. I usuallly run 93 or 89 octane.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly sounds like:

Fuel pump going bad
Rat or other vermin chewed through one or more ignition wires
Dirty fuel injection
Dirty fuel filter

just a few thoughts. Don't laugh about the rats....similar symptoms and its happened to me twice...

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes my buddy jim is right they normally eat the knock sensor wires. but to be on the safe side i suggest cleaning your throttle plate and having your fuel system serviced. check the air filter and make sure your engine control module software is up to date

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes my buddy jim is right they normally eat the knock sensor wires. but to be on the safe side i suggest cleaning your throttle plate and having your fuel system serviced. check the air filter and make sure your engine control module software is up to date

no rats in my new garage!! Just replaced the air filter so that shouldnt be it. Guess i will take it somewhere and have them change the fuel filter. Fuel pump shouldnt be going out with only 51K on it should it?

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way to clean the fuel injection? Is changing the fuel pump something I can do in my driveway.....or does it require special tools?

Possibly sounds like:

Fuel pump going bad
Rat or other vermin chewed through one or more ignition wires
Dirty fuel injection
Dirty fuel filter

just a few thoughts. Don't laugh about the rats....similar symptoms and its happened to me twice...

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no fuel filter to be serviced in this vehicle buddy. you have two choices to do this service you can take the intake boot off all the way to the throttle body and clean that out and add an additive in the fuel tank. or you can go to the dealer and have them do it. they will pretty much do the same thing besides add an extra unit to the fuel rail and run the additive straight into the rail itself.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are actually two fuel pumps and they are inside the fuel tank, so that is problematic. Also, check plugs or plug wires. Don't know why I didn't think of that before....

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vehicle has coil on plugs and spark plugs arent recommended to do till about 105k service . you probably have a dirty throttle plate i actually just fixed two lr3s today for this same issue

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have and fault codes, if so what are they?
Clean your t/body and idle control. When were the plugs last changed?

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have and fault codes, if so what are they?
Clean your t/body and idle control. When were the plugs last changed?

i dont have any faults or codes, only symptom is the idle is dropping. What do you recommend to use to clean the throttle body? Do i remove it or just clean it on the vehicle?

lr3 only has 51k miles on it, plugs are the originals.

Another question on a different topic, thinking about changing all the fluids, is it advised to use the original land rover stuff, ( i prefer synthetics) or would i be all right switching to say mobil 1 full synthetic or royal purple?

Thanks for your help guys. Just want this vehicle to last as long as i can get it to last with minimal problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635