Avoid like the plague

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbrit

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Just aquick heads up,
my wife and i have owned range rovers and range rover sports for 7 years.
I bought my wifes last sport in 2010 and bought a $5000 exteded warranty from the land rover main dealer GLOBAL TITANIUM 7 star warranty.
What aj oke,just had to take her car in as a warning light came on,was told we need a fuel pump and also a new transfer box.
GLOBAL WARRANTY have told the dealer to fit used parts and even tried to get them to charge me for the strip down of the transfer box.
This is not a wind up,a franchised dealer sold me a warranty for used parts.
I have spoken to LR North America,they say they have no control over what warrantys there dealers sell,are you kidding me,so a dealer can sell a warranty that underminds all that LR is suppose to stand for.
GLOBAL WARRANTY should be thrown out of all Land Rover franchised dealerships forth with and the dealerships should warn all customers who have bought GLOBALS Warranty to expect used parts if there Land Rover needs fixing.
Shame on Land Rover for allowing this practice,it is all to do with profit,well i have owned 6 land rovers,guess what there will not be a seventh
I should have looked on line before laying out 5 grand with Global WARRANTY there reputation stinks

bcbrit

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is a warranty not a warranty.

Hi bcbrit and that sort of response is what we get fro Land Rover while a vehicle is still under the original new car warranty.

I have owned 6 new LRs and been very happy with most of them but my 2007 TDV8 RR is most likely my last Land Rover, because of how pathetic Land Rover Australia is when it comes the warranty responsibility, and not just with my vehicle!

My problems with this heap started just 24 hours after driving out of the showroom.

One of the first tasks I tried to do was set up the Voice Commands for the mobile phone.

I tried for about an hour without any success and then thought it my be my old mobile phone causing the problem so I bought a new.

No luck, and things just went down hill from there.

6 weeks ago, after being invited by LRA to join them on their Facebook site, I was telling one of my customers about it and I suggested I should post up the good work LRA and the dealership have did on my RR while it was supposedly still under warranty.

My customer is a solicitor and he then informed that if a fault is not fixed under warranty, and the dealership/manufacture is aware of the fault during the warranty period, they are still responsible for fault repair after the warranty expires.

When I was informed of this, I first contacted Land Rover Australia and sent them the following E-mail to see if these problems could be resolved in a simple manor.

This was sent 6 weeks ago and so far not a single reply other than the automatically generated “Thank you for your E-mail, you will be contacted within two days”

Anyway I am interested in any feed back on how others have been treated by Land Rover, in relations to warranty claims.

MY E-MAIL TO LRA. Part 1

I received an E-mail from you ( Land Rover ) last week, inviting me to visit you on Twitter and Facebook.

I personally find this invitation somewhat strange considering I am anything but a happy Land Rover owner.

Let me start by covering my history of once being a loyal Land Rover owner.

I began my Land Rover experience back in the mid 1990s, and bought a Discovery 1, the first of 6 new Land Rovers.

I then traded up to a Discovery 2, and then in 2002, I bought the best vehicle I have ever owned, a Range Rover Vogue. I bought the Ranger Rover just 2 months after the new L322 range was released here in Australia.

In 2004, as a founding member, I and a hand full of other Land Rover enthusiasts, after meeting up on the AULRO forum, formed the Gold Coast Land Rover Owners club of which I am member number 3.

Thanks to the clubs activities, I had me 2002 Range Rover off road every opportunity I could.

Then in 2005, my wife bought a Discovery 3, another excellent 4x4 and when the Discovery 4 was released, she traded up to one.

Then I made the two biggest motoring blunders of my life.

In 2007, while in Melbourne on a business trip, with just short of 180,000 kilometres on the clock, I decided to up grade my 2002 RR for a new 2007 Range Rover Vogue Lux.

Trading the 2002 RR in was the first mistake. and buying the 2007 RR Lux was the second and bigger mistake.

The 2007 Range Rover Vogue has to be worst vehicle I have ever owned and has had the worst warranty of any vehicle I have ever owned.

Right from the start, this vehicle has been a boom, but even before I took charge of it it was causing problems.

I bought the 2007 RR from Lance Dixon LR, and as above, I was in Melbourne on a business and was wanting to get home.* The paperwork took a few days, which is normal and I’m informed the RR is ready to pickup on Thursday, so I ring the dealership to organise a time, and I’m informed that as the salesman was having Thursday off, I would have to wait till Friday to collect the vehicle.

This is what they call good customer relations, and was an oman of worse to come.

I had organised Transfer Papers for the RR so I could drive it back to Queensland before registering it.

I drove straight through to the Gold Coast and got back over the weekend. On the Monday morning I go to the Motor Registry and while the inspector was writing down the engine number, she pointed at the top of the radiator and commented “I don’t think that belongs there”.

Sitting on top of the radiator fan cover was the oil dip stick. The great service staff at Lance Dixon’s had forgotten to replace the dip stick and I had just driven nearly 2,000ks with an open engine oil pipe.

This was just the beginning of the hassles this vehicle has caused.

After a few months, the 07 RR would not allow manual selection of lower gears. It performed flawlessly while driving but just would not allow manual selection in Sports mode.

This went on for a few weeks then suddenly and with no apparent reason, it was back working again. And while it was reported at the next service, it was never fixed and to this day, the manual selection works for a few months then it is not available for a few months.

The same thing happens to the Terrain Response and this has proven to be such a problem that in nearly 6 years of owning a 4x4 and originally being an active member of a Land Rover club, my RR has only been off road 3 times.

Now there was supposed to be a 3 year new vehicle warranty covering my RR, so when I noticed that the leather in the side of my driver’s seat was being cut by the plastic cowling around the base of the seat, I showed this to the service manager when I put the RR in for it’s next service at Bruce Lynton LR.

When I picked up my RR, I’m informed that LRA told the service manager that this sort of damage is caused by ware and tare, and as such, is not covered under the terms of the warranty.

Being as the warranty was SUPPOSED to be for 3 years, it’s a bit of a joke, especially when considering I had not raised this problem 3 years into the warranty, my RR was not 3 months old when I asked for it to be fixed.

The “warranty” repair was done by me, having to first sand the razor sharp edge off the top of the plastic seat cowling and then, because the cowling was white plastic painted black, I then covered the white plastic with a black permeant marker.

I have now heard from a number of RRS owners, where they had had the same problem and their seats were replaced.

During the first couple of years I had this vehicle, there was a drought in Queensland, but the first time we had heavy rain, I noticed the rear window was leaking. So the next service, I showed them where the window was leaking so it could be fixed.

When I picked up my RR, I was told the leak had been fixed.

It was a year or so before the drought finally came to end and we started to get heavy rain again. I was driving with some friends in the RR and one of them tells me she can hear some sort of hissing noise in the back.

By the time I have dropped my friends off and I’m driving home, I too can now hear this periodic hissing sound.

I get home and discovered the rear window was still leaking and after some investigating to find out what was causing the hissing sound, I noticed water in the spare wheel well.

After removing the spare wheel, I then had to remove more than a bucket full of water. The hissing sound was the water splashing over the compressor.

By this time, my RR was now out of warranty, not that the warranty had ever been honoured Bruce Lynton LR or LRA.

Every few months, after heavy rain, I would have to remove the spare and remove the water, until I finally had enough.

I found two large rubber bungs in the floor of the spare wheel well. I removed them and now, while the RR still leaks in the rain, at least the water no longer builds up in the wheel well, it just flows straight through and out under the RR.

My $170,000 RR is so useless now that it is only used for the mail run, two or three times week.

I would have sold this “4x4” years ago but there are so many faults with it, I would have been lucky to 25% of what it should be valued at.

Thanks to owning a 4x4 that is not a 4x4, I have not been an active member of the Gold Coast Land Rovers club for more than 4 years.

Another failed feature is the Telephone Voice Recognition. Over four long attempts to get this feature to operate, including a final 2 hour attempt, which at the end of it, I actually got the phone to call a number using voice command. The only problem being that it was not the number I requested, so I gave up.

The next service, I told the service manager this feature was not working and to my amazement, he informs me that there is a problem with this feature and they have actually deleted it from the UK versions.

I found this very hard to believe and then some months later, I am given the same story from the service manager of another dealership.

At that time I was driving a considerable number of kilometres every month and this “SAFETY” feature was one of the reasons I upgraded to this model. This SAFETY feature not only didn’t work but Land Rover were happy to sell their RRs claiming they had this SAFETY feature when they knew it did not work.

The sound system only partially works, the nav system worked fine till the RR had its first service, and has never worked properly since, even though I pointed out this problem every time I put the RR in for a service.

There has been an electronic glitch in this vehicle from the day it was manufactured but no matter how many problems I raised each time my RR went in for a service, the electronics issue was never resolved and I doubt if it was actually ever looked at.

My Terrain Response and Height Selection has not worked at all for the last two and a half years and 6 months ago, after the heavy rain event we had in Queensland, I was turning around in my backyard when a rear wheel sunk into some soft mud I was unaware of.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think this sager will be over anytime too soon as Land Rover Australia is one of the most obnoxious companies you could come across to deal with.

For example, and this is the very reason I am spending my time warning other Land Rover owners of what to expect when they need warranty work done in Australia.

My first posts in this thread is part of an E-mail I sent to Land Rover Australia’s “Customer Service” and while I was told I would get a reply in about a week, after 6 week, two more E-mails and two more phone calls, I received no form of reply what so ever but the last phone call made it clear that Land Rover Australia had no intentions of honouring their warranty obligations.

This is the response when I explained to the individual that my $170,000 Range Rover started falling apart less than 3 moths after driving it out of the showroom, his reply was “SO”.

The “SO” comment ended the conversation but the individual did not expect to see his comment posted up on the net and when Land Rover saw the comment on one of the Range Rover sites, I then received the one and only reply from them in the 6 years I have been trying to get this heap fixed under warranty.
This is a copy of their one and only reply, which covers none of the many faults and failures this heap has and is simply them trying to cover their own backside after the “SO” comment.

Dear Mr ######,
We understand that you have posted some comments regarding your vehicle on an internet forum regarding your Range Rover Vogue indicating you have not had a reply from Land Rover Customer Care.
Thank you for your loyalty to the brand and naturally, we very much regret to learn that the ownership experience of your Range Rover has not lived up to your expectations. We ask you to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by us not replying sooner.
Regarding the concern with seat trim that was raised with ( DEALER’S NAME ) Land Rover, it was noted as a wear and tear item as per previous dealership advice and as such was a retail repair. We understand this decision was conveyed at the time as per your correspondence.
If you have further concerns with your vehicle then we recommend presenting your vehicle to an authorised Land Rover dealership for repairs.
Land Rover Australia issued your vehicle with a Three Year (3) or 100,000KM (which ever occurred first) New Car Warranty on the 30th of November 2007. This warranty was in place to cover the owner for any costs associated with unforeseeable defects in manufacture, within the timeframe.
Land Rover Australia is not in a position to assist financially to your vehicle due to the age of vehicle. While we understand this may not be the answer you were looking for, but we are bound by the terms and conditions of the new car warranty.
We hope this clarifies our position in regards to this matter.
Yours sincerely
#### ########
Customer Care Manager
Land Rover Australia

Last edited:

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a followup on my replies in this thread.

My RR has now had a spline failure, causing damage to both the gear box and transfer case.

The total fix is guesstimated at $12,000.

And this was caused by Land Rover “forgetting” to apply a special lube to the spline during production.

These whole ridiculous situation is now going to be a legal situation.

And LRA’s total contempt for warranty obligations is not limited to my vehicle.

An RRS owner, with a vehicle still under warranty is having problems sorting out all his failures and on going problems.

Problems like using nearly 30 litres pre 100 kilometres, where the norm is more like less than 10 litres pre 100 kilometres, and numerous blown turbos and so on.

So I think the short falls in your after market warranty is about equal to our total lack of Land Rover Manufacturer’s warranty over here.

Mou279

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think this sager will be over anytime too soon as Land Rover Australia is one of the most obnoxious companies you could come across to deal with.

For example, and this is the very reason I am spending my time warning other Land Rover owners of what to expect when they need warranty work done in Australia.

My first posts in this thread is part of an E-mail I sent to Land Rover Australia’s “Customer Service” and while I was told I would get a reply in about a week, after 6 week, two more E-mails and two more phone calls, I received no form of reply what so ever but the last phone call made it clear that Land Rover Australia had no intentions of honouring their warranty obligations.

This is the response when I explained to the individual that my $170,000 Range Rover started falling apart less than 3 moths after driving it out of the showroom, his reply was “SO”.

The “SO” comment ended the conversation but the individual did not expect to see his comment posted up on the net and when Land Rover saw the comment on one of the Range Rover sites, I then received the one and only reply from them in the 6 years I have been trying to get this heap fixed under warranty.
This is a copy of their one and only reply, which covers none of the many faults and failures this heap has and is simply them trying to cover their own backside after the “SO” comment.

Dear Mr ######,
We understand that you have posted some comments regarding your vehicle on an internet forum regarding your Range Rover Vogue indicating you have not had a reply from Land Rover Customer Care.
Thank you for your loyalty to the brand and naturally, we very much regret to learn that the ownership experience of your Range Rover has not lived up to your expectations. We ask you to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by us not replying sooner.
Regarding the concern with seat trim that was raised with ( DEALER’S NAME ) Land Rover, it was noted as a wear and tear item as per previous dealership advice and as such was a retail repair. We understand this decision was conveyed at the time as per your correspondence.
If you have further concerns with your vehicle then we recommend presenting your vehicle to an authorised Land Rover dealership for repairs.
Land Rover Australia issued your vehicle with a Three Year (3) or 100,000KM (which ever occurred first) New Car Warranty on the 30th of November 2007. This warranty was in place to cover the owner for any costs associated with unforeseeable defects in manufacture, within the timeframe.
Land Rover Australia is not in a position to assist financially to your vehicle due to the age of vehicle. While we understand this may not be the answer you were looking for, but we are bound by the terms and conditions of the new car warranty.
We hope this clarifies our position in regards to this matter.
Yours sincerely
#### ########
Customer Care Manager
Land Rover Australia
Dear Sir
I purchased a RR Vogue-2007 Model. Just did 2000 km driving it down from Germany to Spain. The car drove like a dream. Never had a car like it. V pleased. As indicated, the car being bought in Germany, the manual is in German. How can I get hold of one in English? Please help. Kind regards. Mou

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA