D1 Brakes - Replace - TRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are TRW OEM for LR's? (they claim to be)
I read the genuine brakes have the most bite.
(upgrading to 2" lift and 32" tires this spring)

Anyone have experience with TRW or Brembro.
real life experience with either compared to stock would be great.

(yes already upgraded extended brakelines - actually just replaced every brake line in the truck)

thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When I had 32" tires and a 2" lift on my D1, I just bought the best brakes offered at the local Autozone, I did upgrade my fronts to the vented rotor RR style over the solid rotor that was on the D1. Really didn't notice a difference. Rear brakes still wear out faster on the D1 and D2 than the fronts do to how they are biased. I think I even tried dimpled rotors and they just filled up with mud when off roading and didn't do me much good either.

I haven't heard anything bad on TRW or Brembro brakes though if that helps.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your just using the standard Rotors from either company you wont see any real difference other than the fact all the parts will be new and working as they were meant to. I recently replaced my brakes all the way around the disco with the performance drilled and slotted rotors from rovahfarm did the braided stainless lines and a set of ceramic brake pads from autozone. I now have brakes that feel proper to me. The land rover brakes have always felt soft, and it took longer than I thought it should to stop. Now I see a major difference and stopping takes less distance, along with the brake pedal feeling firmer.

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have misunderstood. Are you looking for pads? or the whole set up? If just pads I had EBC Performance pads on my last disco and they did very well. But if your rotors are worn then the new pads will only perform as well as the worn rotors will let them.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys - you both gave me useful info
Im prolly doin a whole setup - but I got a few more miles before its a must - hence the research now.
I agree - the rover brakes have always seemed soft - def no honda brakes

I think I may opt for the upgrade to vented brakes in the front - from what Ive googled so far looks like plug and play from a defender

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the defender swap to my last disco and didn't see any really noticeable difference. When I did my swap I used good condition used parts(rotors and calipers), witch shouldn't really make a difference. if you did that set up and found some performance rotors it could make a big change. But I would carefully weigh the cost of the swap verses disco performance rotors and pads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi