Help. LR won't start. Clicking sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used an interstate battery, no issues here either. the deka does sound cool, but difficulty to find would be a turn off.

also in regards to the reading light... I've left all of mine switched on (3 year old turned them on when i was washing and since the car was off i didnt check) and had no drain of any kind. they stayed that way for over a week.

wow - thats impressive staying power for your battery compared to mine!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - thanks a lot for your inputs. The battery had discharged down to 33/800 as my husband had forgotten to switch off a reading light. AAA jump-started the car and I drove it hard for 40 minutes and the charge seems back to normal.

Lesson learnt: Make sure all lights are off for this electron-hungry beast!

Thc for the tip on Deka - will do when this one dies out completely. Thanks again

40 minutes does NOT fully, 100%, recharge an almost 100% depleted battery. You need to get yourself a few things like a good charger and a battery backup/starter. You can also accomplish this by buying a nice AGM battery, charge it with high end charger, then jump start yourself when needed.

Also put into the car a small air compressor and check your spare to be sure it's in good shape.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used an interstate battery, no issues here either. the deka does sound cool, but difficulty to find would be a turn off.

also in regards to the reading light... I've left all of mine switched on (3 year old turned them on when i was washing and since the car was off i didnt check) and had no drain of any kind. they stayed that way for over a week.

"ALL" of the interior reading lamps? They were "on" for a week? I don't think so dude!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Interstate battery has never been a strong one. If I'm only doing short commutes (15 minutes) for a while the starter will get slower and I'll have to throw it on the charger every once in a while. Never had another battery or car do this.

If I leave one of the rear area reading lamps on overnight, the car will barely start in the morning. A long drive or night on the charger returns it to normal operation.

My mechanic claims that the LR3 is such a power hog, that if you only do short drives it will not be enough to keep up with the drain on the battery. I dunno, as I've only had that problem with the I-State battery. I'm sure all manufacturers have lemons on occasion and that appears to be my battery.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk man....I have an Interstate, I generally drive the LR3 once a week. Though I try to make those weekly drives more substantial sometimes they aren't. I don't have battery issues. I'm also very careful not to leave lights on or the radio...meaning this battery has never been really drained (and then re-charged). I'm not battery expert, but I think an event like that could impact the battery's longevity and performance.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the battery went down again while door was opened for 2 hours. Seems like any non-running lighting just sux the life out of the LR battery

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the battery went down again while door was opened for 2 hours. Seems like any non-running lighting just sux the life out of the LR battery

First of all, the lights don't stay on indefinitely when the door remains open. I think they shut off after a fairly short elapsed time. Even the radio will not stay on past maybe 20 minutes.

Secondly, you can set all the interior lighting to stay off when doors are opened like when you are packing up for a trip, going in and out a lot while camping, etc. It's in the manual but just depress the front center lamp button for a few seconds until you see it "blink". This sets them to not come on when doors are opened, only on if you turn them on.

This feature is really very nice as it also keeps all the door bottom "puddle" lamps off.

To toggle back to normal battery draining auto-on, just depress again until it blinks.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. AAA offers battery with 3 year replacement for $140 and independent for 280. Any recommendations on which one to choose?

I forget what year your LR is but it's just sounding like it probably has a weakening original battery.

You can do what you think is best but for some comparison, I just bought an Odyssey 1350 for another car because I am so pleased with the 2150 I've had in my LR3 since 2007, so 8 years now.

The 1350 cost $400 with tax. A 1500 which is spec for LR4, is less $ so I would definitely not pay $280 for just "some other brand" and most certainly not anything AAA is offering with silly short 3 year replacement.

I am sure these are going to last me 10 years+ so it seems like a good investment per time/$ ratio as well as peace of mind.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks jwest. Mine is a 2007 HSE as well. Where to buy the Odyssey from? Do any local shops carry it?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use the Deka 9A94 AGM Intimidator that is the best choice, works very very well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72