New (to me) LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my LR4. Black 2012 LUX HD. Was a little hesitant since it has 50k miles but I couldn't resist the certified pre-owned price at $40k on the dot. Pic of her. I did just notice the rusty looking bearing for the drive belt. Pic below. Should I be concerned about it?

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    861.7 KB · Views: 72

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey andyboy, I recognize your name from the RRS forum on rr.net, welcome to the dark side and congrats, it is a beauty.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would certainly take it to Land Rover and point it out. Even if they don't replace the pulley, if it fails down the road and there is record of your complaint during the warranty period they are more likely to cover the part after the warranty expires. My Calipers are really rusty on my 2011 and Land Rover told me that as long as the calipers are functioning they don't warranty for appearance. I have an extended warranty through JM&A and I plan on trying to get JM&A to warranty the calipers after the factory warranty expires.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color name is it? The whole engine area looks like there's a bit of corrosion. Where did it come from ? If I were you, knowing what I do now, I'd take some real time to deal with the corrosion that is most definitely underneath too. This stuff is what I'd use:

http://boeshield.com/catalog/

First the "Rustfree" cleaner/prep, then the waxy Boeshield T-9 stuff.

Another brand is WaxOyl and I think Rovers North carries it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll guess it's the last couple winters with enough snow to be salting a lot then. This most recent one especially. It wouldn't hurt to look into ways of attacking it now.

FYI, if you are in the mid-atlantic, there are a few good indy shops if you want 2nd opinions while it's still under cpo.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about the crank pulley being rusty. It's a solid piece of steel and probably wasn't coated with anything to prevent rust. The bearing though, is at end of the pulley inside resting on the crankshaft, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV