Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vpr80

Reaction score
I think it's located in the engine's auxiliary battery compartment (opposite side of the main battery compartment) in the LR4.

Thanks. I will try it once I get my truck. Until then, maybe someone with a 2014 can give it a try disconnecting that battery.

..mg..

Reaction score
It may look better on paper, but in the real world:
1) I HATE using a vehicle with these systems that is slow to respond and keeps turning off. The user experience sucks.
2) We all know that starting the engine does the most damage, so where is the net benefit on causing a ton of added use/wear/damage on the engine, starter, fuel pump, etc.

Beside that, where is that second small battery on the 2014/2015 LR4?

PS - 1 month until I get my 2015 HSE Lux.
Regarding #2 above - what you've stated is a common myth that's been debunked numerous times. Same as the myth that starting the engine consumes more fuel than idling.

That said, I'm not high on the Eco Start either. But, it does make me feel minutely better about myself to not be uselessly burning fuel waiting at red lights or in gridlock traffic.

vpr80

Reaction score
Regarding #2 above - what you've stated is a common myth that's been debunked numerous times. Same as the myth that starting the engine consumes more fuel than idling.

That said, I'm not high on the Eco Start either. But, it does make me feel minutely better about myself to not be uselessly burning fuel waiting at red lights or in gridlock traffic.

Gridlock traffic still moves albeit slowly. So an hour of gridlock will result in what like 3-500 cycles of off/on? And you seriously don't think that does any extra damage or wear on the vehicle? The way to safe fuel in gridlock is to have a hybrid that runs on electric while in traffic. Turning the vehicle off 500 times doesn't do anyone any good.

But even all that aside, I still hate the user experience and haven't yet driven a single car that does this that does not bother me.

..mg..

Reaction score
Gridlock traffic still moves albeit slowly. So an hour of gridlock will result in what like 3-500 cycles of off/on? And you seriously don't think that does any extra damage or wear on the vehicle? The way to safe fuel in gridlock is to have a hybrid that runs on electric while in traffic. Turning the vehicle off 500 times doesn't do anyone any good.

But even all that aside, I still hate the user experience and haven't yet driven a single car that does this that does not bother me.
However you want to look at it :smile:. But idling is harder on a vehicle than restarting and consumes more fuel. You don't have to believe me... do some research.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used ECO mode for 2k miles, and well I actually like it. I feel a lot of the hate is overblown.

- it's a very smooth and fast startup (no thud, no extra 1 second delay).

- it actually feels good to sit there at a stop light with your engine off, while everyone else is still running.
When you think about it, there is no reason for your engine to be running at that moment so why not turn it off.

This change by LR and others has really perturbed the masses, don't forget change is often progress!

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, if you are in gridlock traffic and you don't want the start/stop cycling every few feet you move, just turn ECO off. It's just a button press on the dash. Problem solved.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used ECO mode for 2k miles, and well I actually like it. I feel a lot of the hate is overblown.

- it's a very smooth and fast startup (no thud, no extra 1 second delay).

- it actually feels good to sit there at a stop light with your engine off, while everyone else is still running.
When you think about it, there is no reason for your engine to be running at that moment so why not turn it off.

This change by LR and others has really perturbed the masses, don't forget change is often progress!

This is exactly how I feel. It's an overblown issue. There is no thud. No long delay. It works smoothly. It can be disabled at any time with a button press on the dash. People just like to complain.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the fact that you have to turn it off constantly. BMW's system is a hell of a lot smoother AND you can simply disable it in the system menu through the iDrive. It doesn't magic itself back on every turn of the key.

The improvement and finesse of the LR system will come in time. But they need to give the customer the option to turn it off permanently with a simple menu selection if they so choose.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Surfrider77, I should have said:

COMPARED TO THE BMW SYSTEM, I notice a thud and slight delay when driving a loaner LR4 with the Eco system on.

Last edited:

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel. It's an overblown issue. There is no thud. No long delay. It works smoothly. It can be disabled at any time with a button press on the dash. People just like to complain.

If they just give the people what they want, it wouldn't be an issue at all. Now how hard is that? And as for my opinion on the system, its stupid and awful :argh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut