Transfer case seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected the breather tube before lowering the transfer case. After reinstalling the transfer case, I reconnected the tube blind, meaning I used my hands to guide it in.

As for the front output shaft, I think you are referring to this picture when you refer to the one with all the grease?

You've already gotten the rear shaft out of the way, so you have a sense of what needs to happen with the front one. There is a fair amount of flexibility on the drive shaft "head" that attaches to the output flange because of the CV joint. I would try compressing the drive shaft as much as possible and then pushing it up. If not, try using the screwdriver method I mentioned. The six dots in the picture show where the lip of the output flange is. That is where you would insert the screwdriver to get some leverage.

You can do it!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is what you can do with seized / fused output flange to the driveshaft
Take a grinding wheel and cut a small notch o the driveshaft flange, so you can rest an air chisel on this notch and carefully use an air chisel on the angle to separate both part, chiseling towards the front diff . until driveshaft separates from an output flange.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
i did the notch method and with a flathead screwdriver and some gentle hits with a hammer and finally got the thing apart. thanks for that tip! after that, a buddy and i spent several hours removing the eight bolts. we ended up using the stubby 13mm you recommended and a strap for the ones you pull down. we used a floor jack with a bottle jack handle and jacked up the ones you push up. it took a very long time. i cannot agree more that patience is the key with those bolts!

now, my case is now on a bench waiting for me to replace the input seal, hopefully tonight!

thanks again, this has been quite a job. without your help i couldn't have gotten here.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
meant to add that fortunately i don't have to split the case because only the input seal needs to be replaced.

also wanted to ask, does the return trip (getting everything reinstalled) take as long as the trip here?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, reinstalling does take time as well :(

Just a reminder, when installing the input seal, do not press it in all the way!

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a job.. kudos to you guys taking this on and documenting steps for those of us who may have to tackle it in the future.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
I never gave a follow-up report. I finished the job, and found my case still dripping oil. Turns out the LR dealer whom I paid to diagnose the problem told and sold me the wrong seal to replace--the input seal, but in fact it is the forward output seal that has been leaking. Needless to say I was disgruntled and not in the mood to even think about it. Other than topping of the oil every month or two, I have been putting off doing this all over again.

Until now. I'm dropping the transfer case again and this time I'll have to split the case. While I'm there I'm replacing all the seals.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear this. After you are done, you'll be able to start your own Land Rover transfer case repair shop.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
Job finally done! Thanks for the cir-clip paperclip trick. The larger rear output clip was easy. The smaller front output clip was a lot harder for some reason, but I was able to get it compressed.

The transfer case is no longer leaking oil!

Thanks again for all the help. Glad I was able to finally get this pesky thing done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV